(46) His Mother

Chapter 46

“Alright. We’re here.” Daniel pulled into a parking lot and put the car in park before turning the engine off.

I looked at the building in front of us with disbelief. “A...salon? This is the surprise?”

Daniel got out and pocketed his keys.

“What’s so special about a salon?” I demanded. Here I was, wondering where exactly he was bringing me, only to realize it was this place...yeah, I was a little disappointed.

“I didn’t answer you earlier because I got tired of your questions,” Daniel explained as he walked towards the building.

I hung my head for a minute, but then ran after him. “Hey, wait!” But he didn’t listen to me, and neither did he shorten freakin’ long strides. “I said wait! Wasn’t it you who said you’d be my support if I wore heels-”

I caught up to him and wrapped around his arm to try and pull him to a stop, but I didn’t have to. In fact, he stopped so abruptly, I would have fell if I hadn’t been holding onto his arm.

“Why did you stop-” I followed Daniel’s line of vision to see a woman who had also stopped, although her pause in step was more graceful.

Then quite abruptly, Daniel started walking again, and I who was still holding on to his arm was dragged along.

I was able to get a glimpse as we walked past the woman. Her hair was put into a tight braided bun, and her features were very soft. But those eyes that had met mine for all of a millisecond ... they were even darker than Daniel’s--if that was possible--and a thousand times more cold.

Before we reached the door, the woman spoke. “I see my son still hasn’t learned respect nor manners.”

I gasped and looked at the back of Daniel’s head. He didn’t even turn towards the woman when he spoke. His voice was more devoid of feeling than I had ever heard it be. “I have respect. Just not for you. As for manners ... well, who was the one who taught me those? If I don’t have manners, then I guess it would be your fault ... mother.”

I gasped again and as Daniel dragged me away I looked back to see the woman staring coldly at us, her posture rigid. Then the salon door was closing behind me, and I couldn’t see her anymore.

“Daniel-” I started.

“Two stylists please.” Daniel said at the reception desk, ignoring me completely.

“Yes sir. Right this way.” The woman stood and led us into the main room of the building. I gasped. I was sure some of the people seated here were higher ups. Like the guy I always saw on billboards promoting his line of media such as the news and channel was sitting across from the chair the woman escorted me to.

“D-Daniel ... Is that who I think it is?” He looked over and then looked away nonchalantly. “Yeah.”

My eyes were so wide. “Whoa ... what is this place?” I mumbled.

“A salon.” Daniel simply replied.

“B-but-”

“An expensive salon.” Daniel added.