(4) What's He Got To Do With It?

Chapter 4

“That all sounds like a personal problem,” he whispered as he leaned over the marble table after I explained the situation to him. Of course, after a lot of prodding on his side though, “So why am I being dragged into this?”

If it wasn’t for the coffee shop’s pumpkin spice smell that was invading my nostrils, I swear I would have been able to get a whiff of the man’s scent that was leaning oh so close to me. His lips twitched up into a smirk and my mind started to wonder if I was going crazy because I was finding that smirk a little...alluring. I shook my head. What was I thinking?

“I’m sorry for bringing you into this. I am. It was just when Robin was coming from one way, and Sharon was asking me who it was, I pointed to the tallest person in front of me.”

“Which was me?” He pointed at himself.

I looked away and nodded. “I didn’t want Sharon to find out because that’s her boyfriend, so I just randomly pointed.”

“Waaait a minute.” He narrowed his eyes. "I think I got a little lost. You’re saying Sharon’s his girlfriend? Didn’t you like the guy first? How did she end up with him?”

“Because…I guess Robin liked her type better.” I laughed a little and looked down at the caramel Frappuccino that Daniel had bought for me.

It was quiet for a moment, before I heard words from Daniel’s mouth that startled me. “She’s a bitch.”

I looked up at him, my eyes wide. “Wh-what?”

“Your friend, Sherry, was it?”

“Sharon.”

“I don’t care if her name's caramel cream puff. She’s a bitch.”

I grew angered a little. “Please don’t call her that. She’s my best friend.”

“Bullshit! Best friends do not go out with their friends’ crushes.”

I stood suddenly. Listening to him say these things twisted something in my gut. "You can continue to talk whatever. I'm going." My body shook as my fists balled up at my sides...as if I'd actually use them...

I turned and started to walk out, but his large hand closed around my wrist, stopping me in my tracks even though I didn’t want to be. “We’re not done.” He said flatly.

I looked down as I spoke. “If it’s an apology, you don’t have to give-” I started, but he cut me off.

“I’m not apologizing. I’m not sorry for my words.” How rude! I mean, he could at least apologize for hurting my feelings! “Anyways, you’re basically using me as a cover up so you can continue being friends with Cheyenne-”

“It’s Sharon.”

“Whatever. You’re using me to keep being friends with her. I can see how this will benefit you, but what am I getting out of this?”

My eyes widened. Was he going to refuse to help me and snitch to Sharon? Or what if he told Robin? I’d be devastated. “Wha- what do you want?” I asked, knowing my voice shook in my panic.

He chuckled. “Don’t look so frightened, chérie! ” He pulled on my arm. I stumbled closer to him, finally looking at him.

“What do you want? I can...I can, uh...” I couldn’t think of any good bribes.

“Well...” He said slowly. Suddenly, he pulled my arm hard, and I was tumbling forward...straight into his lap. I gasp and tried to scramble off, but he used one finger to lift my face to meet his. His face grew so close that I was stuck looking into to deep black eyes. For a moment, with his obsidian eyes gazing into mine, I lost my breath, but the fluttering that was in my stomach disappeared instantly with his next words: “Why don’t you become my slave?”