(5) The Deal We've Struck

Chapter 5

I slouched lower in my seat as the rumbling of the bus settled down as we reached a stop. A few squeaks and groans, and the bus doors swung open at the last bus stop before getting to school.

I hid my face in my lap as I felt the bus dip with every person that got on. I didn’t want to look up at all.

Wanna know why? Well, it’s probably clear why.

“Hey you, hold my backpack.”

I froze. Then I looked up slowly. I provided a fake smile as I grabbed his red Jansport bag that he held out to me.

As you can see, I accepted his proposal. Not like I had any choice but to accept. I shuddered as I thought back to the end of our conversation at the coffee shop.

~~~~~

“Why don’t you become my slave?”

“E-excuse me?” I asked breathlessly, thinking that my ears were playing tricks on me.

Daniel smirked as he pushed me off of his lap. “You know, follow my every wish. If I say follow me, then you follow me. If I tell you to come here, then you come here.”

I looked at him with wide eyes. “Are you serious!” I exclaimed, then cast a conscious glance around the quiet coffee shop. All eyes were on me. I snatched my hand from Daniel’s loose grip and sat down right away, then I leaned over and nearly whispered, “You’re joking right?”

In response, Daniel raised an eyebrow and stared at me.

“You’re...not, are you?” I bowed my head. What did I get myself into?

“It’s either I gain a servant, or your secret will be revealed. So you choose, the bitch or me.” He sat back and folded his arms as he stared at me.

I really wanted to protest his name-calling, but under his intense gaze, all I could do was look down as I played with the sleeves of my panda sweater.

“You choose.” He said as he stood and started to make his way towards the door.

I bit my lip. I didn’t want to be a slave, running at every beck and call of someone, but to have the secret I’ve held for over an entire year to be exposed so easily, I didn’t want that to happen. Making up my mind, I bolted up and ran after Daniel.

He was leaning against the wall next to the door outside. “So...did you make your decision?”

I nodded. “But only on my conditions.”

“Oh, but I think I’m doing you the favor.”

“They’re just small! I don’t want anyone knowing I’m acting as your slave, and you can’t call Sharon a B-Bi...that word at all.” Realizing I just sounded as though I was ordering him around, I looked down and flinched.

I felt my breath coming uneasily as I wrung my hands. It was quiet for at least fifteen whole seconds.

“Alright.” I looked up, surprised at his agreement.

“Really?” He nodded. I smiled, feeling like a ton of bricks were thrown off my shoulders. “Thank you!”

He thrust his hands into his pockets and turned down the sidewalk. “Oh yeah...” He stopped slowly and looked back at me. “For your first command, I order you to act as my girlfriend. Wear something...more fashionable tomorrow.”

“Wha-what!?” I exclaimed as I watched him smile, turn around and walk away. “For your information, pandas are extremely fashionable!”

~~~~~

I dropped my head down onto his backpack on my lap as I thought back on our conversation.

“Hey. I know you might be tired, but don’t go slobbering on my backpack.” Daniel said.

I looked up. “My name is Desiree. Not Hey. And I am not sleepy at all. If you can’t tell, I’m embarrassed.”

Both of Daniel’s eyebrows went up. “Embarrassed?”

I could feel my cheeks heat up. “Of course!” I hissed and leaned in closer so that no one would hear what I was saying. “Who wouldn’t be embarrassed to become a slave in this world!”

Daniel Slater just threw his head back and laughed. “You, Desiree, are exaggerating. All you have to do is act like my girlfriend, and do what I say.”

“Yes master.” I bit out and looked out the window. I felt a finger on my chin and the next thing I knew, I was stuck looking into the ebony depths of his captivating, smiling eyes.

“Come on, don’t be so down.” He chuckled a little.

I gasped and felt the heat intensify in my face. A startled look took over Daniel’s face and I looked away quickly. Why did I blush? He was just laughing at me, and yet, because I was looking into his eyes at an extremely close distance, I blush?

I heard him clear his throat as I felt the bus slow down and jerk to a stop as we arrived at school. “Just make sure you stick close to me and act as though you know me.” He said in a bored tone.

I sighed. I felt like I was going into battle, but I cleared my own dried, parched throat and muttered, “Okay.”