(36) A Day's Only As Good As Its Ending

Yay! Long Chapter! X)

Chapter 36

For the time being, I used a high school clarinet, but it felt awkward in my hands, and I found myself depressed just being in the band room. What once used to be my haven, my safehouse, was now suffocating me. I kept seeing the pity stares from all around me. I couldn’t even focus on reading the music in front of me so I kept messing up.

It was a relief when the bell rang. I put away the clarinet so fast and grabbed my belongings, packed up my mom’s clarinet and left the band room.

But the suffocation didn’t stop there. Everywhere I went, I heard murmurs from all angles. I was sorta glad to have Daniel by my side, supporting me so I didn’t have to worry about tripping. Oh yeah, that would help out alot if I planted my face in the ground.

But as much as Daniel was physically supporting me, for the rest of the day, he was withdrawn. He had this look as though he wasn’t paying attention to anything in front of him, but just going through his routine. He looked occupied more with his thoughts than his feet.

That’s how the day passed. Holding on to Daniel and watching as he seemed to draw more and more into himself. He still escorted me to all my classes. He picked me up and dropped me off, but he hardly said anything to me.

Even the bus ride. He helped me by carrying my mom’s clarinet, and held onto me tightly, but when we got on the bus, he was disturbingly quiet.

When we reached his bus stop, he stopped me from getting off. “No, I’ll walk you home today,” He said.

“Huh? What about Anira?” I asked. I kinda wanted to see her today. Her warm spirit and calm smile ... it would have done a lot lift my spirits.

“She’s off today. She’s probably home, still sleep.” Daniel opened his phone and then closed it again. “Yeah. Most likely, or up on her computer, writing or watching dramas ... sounds about right,” He muttered to himself.

He started to return his phone to his pocket but I stopped it by laying a hand on his. “C-can I call her?” I asked timidly.

Daniel hesitated only a fraction of a second before he was pulling up her number and handing me the phone. “Just press the green button.”

I did and put it to my ear. It rang ... and rang ... and rang until and automated voice said, “You have reached the voicemail box of Anira Carswell...” I frowned and pulled the electronic device away from my ear.

“It says-”

“Yeah, voicemail. That means she’s asleep.” Daniel took the phone back and went back to being occupied with his own thoughts. I sighed and settled for watching the familiar streets pass by.

When we got to the stop, Daniel grabbed my backpack and led me off the bus, holding me steady so I didn’t trip. Then he walked me to my house where I thought he would walk into my house like he owned the place. Instead, he handed me my backpack and said, “I’ve got a couple of things I need to take care of.” Then he was gone.

Then I remembered the way he was dressed...he must have gone to take care of it. I frowned a little...I wondered what it was. I gasped and shook my head. We were nothing but working buddies. Nothing more. There was no reason for him to tell me where he was going.

It was only when I had closed the front door behind me that I forgot what I did with my clarinet. Did I leave it on the bus? I probably did.

I guess it was a good thing I did. Daddy would have been furious to see the condition of mom’s clarinet.

With a depressed feeling, I went to my room and closed the door. Today was one of the worst days in my life.

I sluggishly dragged my backpack to my desk and pulled out my homework. It took longer to finish up because my mind was more preoccupied with the events that took place today.

So, by the time I closed my world history textbook and looked up at the digital clock resting in a little cubby on top of my desk, I was surprised to see that two hours had passed already.

Just as I got up to stretch out, I heard the front door open, signaling that Daddy had made it home.

“Dezzy, are you here?” I heard. I went to meet daddy. He had a couple bags in his hand that he was setting down on the table.

“Hey daddy,” I mumbled.

He turned and jumped back in surprise. “Whoa! You scared me! Why do you look so haggard?”

I sighed. “Don’t ask. I think I’m going to head to bed early.” I turned to go to my room.

“Wait!” Daddy called out, and I heard him rustling in the bags as I turned around. He pulled out a tub of ice cream. Actually, my favorite type of ice cream. Vanilla ice cream with ribbons of salted caramel and dark chocolate chunks.

I couldn’t help but light up when I saw it. Instead of snatching up the tub, I launched myself at Daddy’s arms. I felt tears smart my eyes, but I held them back. With my face buried in his shoulder, I murmured, “Thank you Daddy. I love you.”

I think Daddy was shocked to silence, so it took him a minute to respond. Then he hummed low, relaxed as he returned my hug ten times more. “I love you too, my Dizz Dez.”

I smiled widely. He really knew exactly what I needed, when I needed.

“If you want to talk, I’m here, but hey, if you just want to eat your ice cream in silence, that’s fine too.” Daddy said as he pushed away from me and stared at me from an arm’s length away. “I will love you regardless.” He stroked my cheek with his thumb affectionately.

Daddy made the tears want to come back out again. I nodded enthusiastically at the way his hard features softened as he looked at me. I knew then that I was the jewel of Daddy’s life. I could see in his light brown eyes that he wouldn’t trade me for anything in the world.

My entire bad day dissolved as I grabbed my ice cream and sat down at the table with daddy and ate it. I guess those people were right. The ones who said, “A day’s only as good as its ending.

Now, don't ever think of disappearing Dez, your daddy loves ya! XD

Moral of the chapter: Be thankful

I know I'm thankful. Thankful to all my readers because I know without you guys, I would not have gotten this far! X) Happy Thanksgiving my luvs, and make sure to treaure ya loved ones!!! I know I treasure you guys!