(6) I Can't Act Normally!

Chapter 6

As soon as I got off the bus, I wanted to run toward my band class, but I realized I couldn’t when Daniel took my hand. He smiled down at me, but his eyes said, “Come on.”

I whined inside, threw a tantrum mentally. I didn’t want to do this. I think Daniel knew because he bent down tickled my ear with his hot breath as he whispered, “Remember what you’re doing this for. Now, act like I said something funny and laugh. Act natural.”

My eyes widened, but I did as he said as I tittered a laugh as though what he said was humorous, but I couldn’t act natural because I’d never had an actual boyfriend before. How did couples act? Maybe I should walk closer to him? Maybe wrap my arms around his and cling to it? I tried to do something a girlfriend should do, but I felt awkward.

Suddenly, I was being jerked into an empty classroom.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Daniel said vehemently.

I looked down and felt insecure without my usual panda sweater. I didn’t wear with because of what he said yesterday, but instead, wore a jean mini skirt with black tights and a tight-fitting T-shirt that said “I Heart NY” on it.

“I was trying to act like a girlfriend.” I muttered, running a hand down my opposite bare arm.

“Well, you obviously make a sucky girlfriend. I sympathize for your past boyfriends.” He huffed.

“I wouldn’t know how my past boyfriends felt because I never had one. I’m so sorry I suck so bad. I’m trying my hardest.” I sulked. I almost wanted to cry. No wonder Robin didn’t like me. I wasn’t girlfriend material at all. Even if he decided to go out with me, he’d probably break up the next day because I sucked so bad. I wanted to curl up in a ball in some dark corner and sulk for a whole month.

Daniel looked at me with disbelief on his face. “Dear Lord, a virgin?” He asked, looking as though the wind was knocked out of him.

I blushed. “Wh-what’s wrong with being a virgin?”

He laughed breathlessly. “Nothing. Nothing...damn. You’ve gotta be kidding me!”

I bit my lip. The look on his face looked like he wanted to break off our deal. Please no! “Look, if you don’t want me to act as your girlfriend anymore, I’ll do something else for you! Just please don’t tell Robin or Sharon!” I begged.

Daniel’s eyes lit up. “That’s it!” When I confusedly looked up at him, he genuinely smiled at me. It was so bright, and my chest tightened. He looked so...godly. I almost could see his black curls ruffle in the wind, could almost see the glow emanating from his god-formed body. “Why don’t you think of  me as Robin?”

“H-huh?” Confounded by that ethereal smile, I couldn’t quite understand what he said.

“You know...act as though I’m Robin asking you out. You should be able to imagine how it would feel to go out with him, right?”

Could I? I mean, Of course, Robin and Daniel-even if I just got to know him a little- were completely different people. Could I act as though I was going out with Robin?

My mind went crazy, thinking about Robin coming up to me a confessing his love, and then kneeling and taking my hands into his as he asked me, “Desiree Walters, would you do the honor of going out with me?”

My heart lurched, but not in a good way. It was twisting painfully because all I could see after imagining that was Sharon’s pristinely perfect face, claiming Robin as her own.

But what if it were someone else who were kneeling in front of me saying that? Someone who, when bending down, I was faced with a head full of unruly curly hair...and when he would look up, I would drown in pools of the darkest black imaginable.

I felt a flutter in my stomach, and a slight winded feeling took over me.

"...Desiree?"

Like a rubber band stretched taut, I snapped back quickly and a terror filled me up. Oh god! What was I thinking? I couldn't...no! For me, there was only one. I couldn't even believe I thought of that! My stomach felt unsettled.

I looked up at Daniel. His eyebrows drew low over his dark orbs, and the corners of his mouth turned downward. "Are you alright? You have look on your face as though you’re lost."

I shook my head and pulled down on my miniskirt. "No. I'm fine." I tried to smile, but I only felt my dry lips stretch over my teeth.

Daniel wasn't fooled by my attitude either. "If it upsets you so much, then you don't have to think of me as your precious Robin." There was a slight sneer in his words. I think it was because he was getting fed up with me.

"Tha-that's not it! I'll try my hardest to do my best!" I tried to reassure him.

He looked down and snorted, shaking his head as he did so. "You don't have to try your hardest, or your best. That'll only make you more awkward. All you gotta do is be yourself. And...well, I'll treat you as though you're my girlfriend. Just don't worry about anything."

I looked up at the guy who was a foot taller me. He wasn't so bad, was he?

Daniel looked at me, then laughed. "You don't have to look so grateful." He chucked more before he grabbed my hand and opened the classroom door. "Just don't worry about anything. Just hold my hand and smile." He led me outside and then to the cafeteria.

As ordered, I smiled and grasped his hand as though it were a lifeline.