(14) Because I'm His 'Girlfriend'

Chapter 14

As Anira rang up the last article of clothing, my mouth dropped open. Just for four pairs of jeans, two pairs slacks and seven shirts, the total was over four hundred dollars!

And then Daniel came over with four pairs of shoes, and my eyes widened. “Wait!” I told him, stopping him from handing the shoes to Anira. “I- I don’t think I need shoes. The shoes I already have are good enough, right?”

Daniel rose an eyebrow. “If your shoes are in any way like the ones you’re wearing now, then it would benefit you to have these.”

“But I-”

“And if those are your best shoes, then you’re definitely going to need these.” He reached over my short self and handed the shoes to Anira.

“But it’s too much! With those it’ll be over five hundred dollars.”

Daniel’s eyes widened, and his mouth formed and ‘O’. “What!?” He exclaimed.

“T-that’s why I was telling you-”

Daniel snorted. “I know much it is, short stuff.” He knocked me on the head with one of his knuckles lightly and walked past me over to Anira and pulled out a credit card.

“Did you even think about how you were going to get this to her house?” Anira questioned as she pressed a couple of buttons on the register.

I gasped, clearly remembering that she said she’d take me home. When looked up at her, she winked at me.

“Uh, no ... I didn’t. I guess I could call Wesley, or Jim. They’d-”

The look on Anira’s face looked completely disappointed. “Don’t worry about it, big boy. I said I was taking her home tonight.”

Daniel paused in pulling out his cell phone. “Oh, well then. I don’t have to worry about ride, do I?”

Anira grimaced. “Geez, you’re no fun.”

Daniel just sorta smiled as he grabbed the bags from off the counter and walked out the door. I moved to follow him,but Anira stopped me. “Don’t worry about how much it is so much. He’s spent more than that on his girlfriends.”

But that’s not what was bothering me. “I just can’t calmly expect to accept clothes that cost half a thousand.”

Anira looked at me approvingly, and then she said, “Would it help if I told you he’s got way more than that? He just never really spends it.”

“But ... maybe he should just keep saving up. I mean, why spend it on me?” I said, I was becoming very stressed about the issue that my head started pounding.

“Because you’re his girlfriend, of course!” Anira said right away, and it felt like a hand had clutched my stomach and squeezed painfully.

“That-” Then an annoyed sound came from behind me.

“Excuse me. This stuff is a little heavy.” A woman with way too much makeup on held an armful of clothes. She glared at me in annoyance and I moved quickly.

“I’ll be off in fifteen minutes.” Anira whispered to me before casting a polite smile on the customer.