(60) Daddy's Home

Chapter 60

I sat in the living room, hugging my knees as I waited for Daddy to get home. I was afraid. I was afraid that he would come home, looking as haggard as he had before before and tell me he'd lost his job. Again.

It was scary to even think of.

But I would stay up until he got home. Wait for him and be there for him, knowing all the while that it was my fault that he had lost his job, feeling guilty as I rubbed his back and gave him the biggest hug I could.

The time ticked away like a snail. What once were minutes felt like hours, and what once were hours, felt like days.

I wished I had something to do, because my mind kept on replaying  that scene in Daniel’s bedroom.

I had cried for the better part of the trip home in Anira’s car. Anira didn’t question me at all. And when I got out, she just said a small bye, which I knew meant she was feeling really sorry.

The moment I heard the keys at the door, I bolted up and looked at the clock and saw that it was Three-thirty, the time daddy got off work.

I searched his face as he opened the door. He looked tired ... but thankfully, it was just fatigue, and not depression. I sighed in relief.

Daddy finally looked up from where he had put his bag and jacket. When he saw me, he paused in surprise. “Desiree? What are you doing up so late?”

“Ah ... That ... well, I ... I was worried. That’s all.” I muttered as Daddy walked over to me.

His eyebrows drew low over his eyes. “Dez? Have you been crying?” His thick hand came up to touch under my eyes.

My heart hurt at his question, because when he asked, that bedroom scene flashed through my mind. Sharon looking up at Daniel in only her bra and pants ... and Daniel ... Daniel looking down on her. I couldn’t see his eyes, but I bet they had been misted over in lust.

I bit my lip, trying to hold my tears back ... and failed.

“Dez!” Daddy exclaimed as he pulled me into his embrace. “Dez, baby, what’s wrong?” He rubbed my back soothingly, and my frustration and sadness just poured out.

I sobbed and sobbed, crying aloud. My nose ran as much as my eyes did, but Daddy didn’t care about that. He didn’t mind my wetting his shirt with my bodily fluids.

He just held me tight.

I don’t know when I fell asleep, but when I awoke, I was in my bed. Glancing to my right, I saw Daddy had pulled my desk chair over to the bed and he was slumped in it in his sleep.

I sat up with a groan, feeling weak from all the crying I did. My face felt swollen and my nose hurt from all the sniffing I had done yesterday.

I looked over at my alarm clock and was surprised to see that it was ten o’clock. I was late for school.

But ... I didn’t want to go to school. I wanted to avoid it as much as I could. But I would be missing out in work. I bit my lip and tried to figure out what to do. I couldn’t bring myself to call Sharon...whose number did I have from school?

Then I remembered that I was supposed to meet up with Caleb this weekend. He had given me his number. I got up and rummaged through my backpack. My hands stilled as I brushed over something. I knew what that something was, but I was afraid to look at it.

But I pulled it out anyways. The silver glinted in the morning sun streaming through my bedroom window and set the diamonds embedded in the silver sparkle like a rainbow.

I remembered the look Daniel had given me when I had told him I didn’t know where the other earring was...I almost laughed. Almost.

“Dez?” I popped up when I heard Daddy’s groggy voice call me. I quickly stuffed the earring back in my backpack.

“I-I’m just looking for a friend’s number so I can ask them to bring my schoolwork.” I rushed to say, rummaging through my backpack for the baseball ticket Caleb gave me.

“A friend’s? Why don’t you just call Sharon and ask her?” My hands stilled. Then I pulled them onto my lap and scrutinized them with my eyes.

“I’m ... not friends with her anymore.” I muttered. I stood abruptly and ran into the bathroom. I sat in the dry bathtub and hugged my knees, hiding my face behind them. My life was falling apart, and I had no idea how it would be put back together. I never wanted to go to school again. I never wanted to make another friend. I never wanted to step out of the house again.

I've done that once. Locked myself into the bathroom and just sat in the dry bathtub...was not comfy. :(