(10) He's Out Of The Ordinary

Chapter 10

“Carrie’s Clothes Shack? What kind of name is that?” I questioned as Daniel led me to it.

A dark look stole over his face as he said, “Trust me, this store has some good clothes, despite what you think of the name.” He sounded offended.

“Sorry. You must get all your clothes from here. That’s why you’re mad?” I asked him, trying not to look at him, but I couldn’t help it when I saw that he had frozen, his eyes widened in shock.

Then he shook his head, as if to clear it and kept walking. “No. I’m not mad at all. Why would you think that?”

Maybe because you were so defensive when I said something about the name. I was going to say that, but it would have angered him more. So instead, I said, “Sorry. I must have been imagining things or something.” I said with a small laugh. “Maybe I should be like, a storyteller or something. I such a good imagination-”

“Stay by my side and act like my girlfriend.” Daniel said.  

“Eh?” Was he not listening to anything I just said? He probably wasn’t by the look on his face. He was staring at the store in front of us as though he were about to enter a war zone.

He looked down at me at that moment. “You know. Smile, wrap your hand around my waist. Be a little pouty. Maybe-” He was sounding more like a general getting his troops ready.

“Daniel? I thought we were only going to act like we’re a couple at school.” I questioned hesitantly.

Once again, a look of shock passed through Daniel’s features. “That-well, this is practice!” He said right away. “Also, it’s not good to drop the facade until we reach our homes. What if we bump into someone from school? Better safe than sorry.”

I raised an eyebrow at him, but didn’t question him as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder. He was acting awfully weird though. I mean, he never seemed...well, like his feathers were being ruffled before. I mean, I only knew him a couple days, but even in those couple of days, he was always, uhhh...confident of himself. Never had I seen him get surprised twice in a row and within five minutes! And he was babbling a lot!

Maybe it was because it was a clothes store. I read in some magazine that guys didn’t like going shopping...hm. That must be it. “I can go in by myself if you’re too uncomfortable in there.”

Daniel’s dark eyes looked at me in surprise. “Huh?” A couple of seconds of silence were issued as he was trying to register what I had just said. I could tell when it did because his face changed. “Wha- ah...” And then, as if nothing was weird, he smirked. “What are you talking about? If I don’t go in there, how would you know what to buy? And how would you buy it if I’m out here? Come on, stop spouting nonsense and come on.” He started walking forward, and since he had his arm securely around my shoulders, I stumbled a few steps when he suddenly just started walking.

Yep. He was back to his old self. I pouted. Why did he have to be so mean. I was thinking about his comfort, and here he was, insulting me!

“Could you at least smile and act like I’m the best boyfriend in the world?” He suddenly whispered in my ear, startling me out of my pout for a split second, but then I went back to pouting.

“But you’re not, you meanie.” I whispered violently and looked up at him.

Whatever he was going to say was hindered by a woman’s voice. “Well, you two look very close.”