(32) The Weight On My Shoulders

Chapter 32

“So Desiree, how did you meet your new friend?” We were at the dining room table, Daddy sat on one end of the table, while Daniel sat across from him. Anira and I both took one side of the table. Daddy gave a pointed glare at Daniel. He wasn’t going to approve of my friendship with Daniel at all. God, I hoped for Daniel’s own safety that Daddy never realized what Daniel and I’s relationship was. Not the bf-gf thing, but about the deal we made with each other.

“Ah ... Actually, Daniel introduced us,” I said, trying to organize an answer.

Daddy’s eyebrows went up at that, “Really? How?”

“I ... stopped to look through the store Anira worked at and noticed him, since I’d seen him around school. And then Anira saw me talking to her brother.”

I moved my fork around on my plate and didn’t look up. I’d been having this feeling since I started this whole thingamajig. It was really burdensome, and no matter how many times I lied, the burden never lessened. Instead, it grew heavier. My breathing grew just a bit heavier as I felt suffocated.

I felt fake.

“E-excuse me.” I pushed my chair back and stood up. “I’ll be back in a couple minutes.” I left the kitchen and ran to my haven, my room to recuperate.

I couldn’t stand it. Anira thought I was the girlfriend of Daniel, her precious ‘little brother’, And I was just making up lie after lie to Daddy. I felt disgusting.

When I signed up for this, I didn’t think it would have so much baggage. All I wanted was to be able to stay next to Sharon as her friend.

This was going too far. Maybe I should just go out there and tell Daddy and Anira the truth, regardless of what Daniel thought.

I heard the door of my room click, and I saw Daniel sneak in. “What are you doing here?”

“You ask that question way too much.” He came and sat down next to me on my bed.

“Because you’re always popping up everywhere,” I said. scooting away from him. The more I was around him, the more I felt guilty for all the lying I was doing. “Daniel.” I looked down, rubbing a hand over my opposite arm.

“Hm?” I couldn’t look at him.

“I really think we should quit this. I can’t take much more of this.”

Daniel was quiet, I was quiet. The quietness was overwhelming.

Then, “I thought you were stronger this.” My head snapped up to see Daniel looking up at my ceiling.

“Strong?”

He nodded. “Especially since you are able to see the one you love walking, talking and laughing next to someone who knew of your feelings. What is it that you see in Shannon? ... I wonder,” He muttered his last inquiry.

“What is it, you ask?” I felt anger roiling around within me.

“Maybe it’s because you never had a friend that you don’t know what a real one is?” He questioned. Now it was like he was talking to himself.

“Excuse me, I do!” I exclaimed indignantly.

“No, honey, I don’t think you do.”

“And why do you think that?” I asked.

“I’ve already told back when I met you and we first struck this deal. I won’t repeat myself.” He stood up, smoothing out his T-shirt and cleared his throat. “I should get back to the kitchen before your Dad storms back here and turn all hulk on us.”

He slipped out the room, leaving me feeling unsettled and upset.

Sharon had always been my friend. I couldn’t imagine not being friends with her....