(30) Live! Two Lions Butt Heads!

I love this chapter. XD

Chapter 30

Why did I choose to make Lasagna? I mean, it was the dish I knew how to make by heart, and Daddy always said his favorite dish made by me was lasagna, but because I made the sauce from scratch, it took a little more time, and a lot more of paying attention to measurements.

Not that I mind measuring out my ingredients. It was just because I hadn’t cooked in a while, so Daddy had been in control of the kitchen ... which meant a lot of the things I needed were out of reach for me.

I cursed for the tenth time as I tried to reach the parsley from above the stove. My hand had briefly brushed it a couple times, but I still wasn’t able to get my hand around it all the way and it kept slipping from my grasp.

Suddenly, another, longer arm reached over me and pulled it down, handing it to me before retreating. I turned to see Daniel backing up and resting his hip against the opposite counter. I’m glad he hadn’t been as close as the first time. I would have probably froze again. “What are you doing in here?”

Daniel halfway pursed his lips as he raised his eyebrows. “Well ... I saw you struggling, and thought I’d help out the little mousey.”

I glared at him. “I didn’t ask for your help, you giraffe!” I yelled.

He smirked. He put a finger up to his lips in a shushing movement. “Quiet, or little mousey’s daddy will come out in rampage mode,” he joked.

“Not funny. If my dad did come out, you’d be killed.” I warned as I turned to find the chopped onions. I sighed when I realized it had been sitting next to the parsley. I reached for it, but as I had suspected, it was even harder to reach than the previous thing.

Next thing I knew, that long arm reached over my head and pulled it down for me, sitting it atop my small head.

I snatched it off and growled at Daniel. “Go back to the living room! I’m warning you.”

Daniel chuckled, but he listened to me and went back to the living room. I watched him until he did. When he got there, he plopped down on the couch farthest away, facing the kitchen. He spread his long arms across the back of the couch and crossed his legs at the ankle as he turned that set of disturbing black eyes on me and kept them there.

I blushed and turned away, finding the rest of the ingredients without his help and went to cooking.

But all throughout the entire time, I found myself conscious of his stare. When I put the long flat noodles in to broil. When I mixed the seasonings  and ingredients with the tomato sauce. When I crumbled up the fresh ricotta cheese in a bowl. Anything I did, I felt his eyes fastened on me. It was unnerving and made my hand a little unsteady.

I wondered what he was thinking as he watched me. Probably how I looked like a kid in here. Or maybe ... he was probably wondering whether I could cook! That had to be it.

But even when I figured it out, I still couldn’t get over the unnerving feeling of being watched.

So that’s probably what caused my hand to slip while putting the dish in the preheated oven. I hissed when my hand touched the oven’s inside with the flat of my hand.

“Are you okay?” I jumped when I heard Daniel’s voice next to my ear. I turned to see him crouching right next to me. How the heck did he get over here so fast?

“I just burned my hand-”

“Come put it under cold water fast-”

And just as we were getting up off the floor, Daddy came in. He took a look between the two of use within the span of two seconds, then he was aiming for Daniel. “What did you do to my daughter!” He raged.

“She just burned herself sir!” Daniel rushed to assure. “I was in the living room, but I saw that she hurt herself, so I was trying to get her to cool it off with cold water-”

“No, that won’t do. Butter is better for burns.” Daddy rushed to the refrigerator to grab a stick of butter.

“But sir, cold water-”

“Butter, son. I know these things-”

“But-”

“Are you trying to say a brat half my age knows better than I do?” Daddy yelled.

By the set of Daniel’s thin mouth, I knew Daddy had struck a chord.

Anira chose just this moment, where Daddy and Daniel were locked in a fierce glaring competition to knock on the door.

I cleared my throat. “I’ll get that.”

Both guys looked at me. “No you won’t,” They stated together. My eyes widened. Startled, Daddy and Daniel glared at each other before turning to me again. “At least put some-” They both stopped in mid-sentence and glared at each other harder.

While they did, I stood quickly and ran to the door and opened it for Anira.

“Hey!” She greeted with a smile.

“Hi!” I greeted back, giving her a hug. “Come in!” I said, moving aside to let her in. I glanced back to see Daddy and Daniel had reluctantly dropped their argument and had moved from the kitchen to the living room to greet Anira.

“Hello.” Anira said to Daddy, “Nice to meet you, I’m Anira.”

“John Walters, Desiree’s dad.” Daddy answered shortly with a firm handshake.

Anira’s eyes landed on Daniel. “Surprised to see you here.” She said with an elegantly uplifted eyebrow.

“I lost my house key, sister.” He enunciated the sister part.

Anira was only confused a couple of minutes before she gave a laugh. “Oh, I’m so surprised that you, of all people would lose something so important!” She said with a sparkle in her hazel eyes.

Daniel glared. “Just give me your keys, so I can get out of here.”

Anira turned to me. “Actually, I was going to ask Desiree if you could stay too. That way I won’t be worrying about whether you’ve eaten or not.”