(47) Cancelled

Chapter 47

I walked out of the building feeling like a hundred bucks. I was so excited. When they finished with my hair, I couldn’t stop staring at it. I couldn’t believe they could tame it so well! no wonder it was expensive!

And then after they finished my hair, they led me to another part of the building and did my makeup.

And the completed look was ... was ... it looked nothing like me! I was so excited I wanted to jump up and down, but if I had, then I was sure I would have hurt my ankle again. I decided on hugging Daniel’s arm and giggling like crazy. Daniel just laughed at my childishness as we walked to the car, matching his steps to mine.

The time was now six-thirty, so we were going to meet Sharon and Robin, and I felt completely fine with it. The way I looked now gave me encouragement to overcome anything.

But then....

The call came as we were exiting the highway and turning down the street that would lead us to our meeting point.

Daniel’s phone rang. He handed it to me. “It’s Shelby.”

It took me a moment to realize that who he was talking about was Sharon. My eyes widened. “How do you have her number?”

“She gave it to me.” Daniel said, then nodded towards the phone. “Answer it.”

I answered. “Hello?”

“Oh, hey Desiree!” She said. “Uhm ... about tonight ... something came up with Robin’s family...”

“Oh, is everything okay?” I asked worriedly.

“Yeah. Just a minor problem. Listen ... we won’t be able to make it tonight.”

“O-Oh...” was all I said. I couldn't describe how disappointed I was. Before I would have been ecstatic to receive her news, but now I felt that all that I got dressed up for was in vain.

“Sorry. We’ll make plans for another time, okay?”

“Okay.” Then I hung up. I sighed and looked up at Daniel.

He darted looks between the road and me. “What is it?”

I sighed again. “Sharon and Robin can’t make it.” I handed him his phone back. “Guess we have to go back now. All this for noth-”

Suddenly, Daniel swerved and made a sharp u-turn.

“Wh-where are you going? Home is the other way!” I yelled.

“Will you just shut up for once? Just come with me for a bit.”

I thought about opening my mouth and arguing with him, but if I had learned one thing this week about him, it was that no matter how much I pleaded with him, he wouldn’t listen to me. I sighed and sat back. I guess I could go with his flow, since I didn’t really want to go home.

Home ... would we still be able to keep it? Daddy’s loss of a job worried me. Where would we live if we lost the house? We didn’t have any family here in this city. Matter of fact, we had no family in this state! If we had no money to keep the house, then how were we going to pay for a way to get to our family?

I was becoming frightened.