(54) Memories Can Be Cruel

This chapter has a lot of her remembering sentences...gah. Hard to explain. Read on. You'll understand what I was saying.

Chapter 54

I walked out of Band class and felt suddenly amiss as I started walking. I looked up at the doors in front of me that led out of the performing arts building.

"Aish! Why is it so cold when it's the middle of September?"

I stared at the spot, feeling like it had just been hours ago that he said those words.

"Here, let me borrow your pockets."

I could almost feel the ghost of how his arms wrapped around my waist, how his head rested on mine.

I shook it off and swiftly walked to Geometry. I couldn't afford to think of those memories. I had to be strong. Despite losing him. Despite losing my best friend. Despite the hole in my heart.

Even if I said that, I felt like I was in a trance. I don't even remember what was taught in Geometry. I just kept wondering where Daniel was and what he was doing. I mean, if he had read the letter ... he would be beyond furious. Is that why he didn't come to school?

It had to be.

But Daniel was only using me to pass the time, right? I was just his toy, right? He was just throwing a fit because he didn't want to lose his toy?

I sighed.

Someone nudged me from the side. I looked over to see my classmate who sat next to me in Chemistry biting her lip.

Huh? When did I get to Chemistry?

She gave a sharp look at Mr. Poleaux, and then at her book.

"Eh?" I asked.

"Miss Walters. Any time today." Mr. Poleaux impatiently said.

"Ah..." The girl next to me nudged me again. I looked down at her to see she was pointing at something in her book.

Right. Reading.

I recited whatever Mr. Poleaux asked before I finally reached into my backpack and pulled out my book.

Something fell from the bottom of the book. I looked down to see something glitter on the floor. I picked up up and my eyes widened.

It was the other silver earring. My heart gave off a hard thump. Why did I keep feeling like crying today?!

I stuffed the thing back in my backpack and opened my book, trying to forget the wealth of despair that pummeled me.

After chemistry, I walked out, but felt suddenly amiss, like all the other times when I walked out and didn't see Daniel leaning against a wall somewhere waiting for me.

I couldn't quite shrug the feeling off.

"Mousey!" A male yell resounded through the air. I gasped and turned quickly to look behind me.

"But I thought they didn't like the cold. How did you get a mousey?" It was just a group of kids talking about a real mouse.

I turned and trudged on toward the cafeteria. I wanted to break down so bad. I missed him. And it hadn't even been a full day that passed.

"What are you? A fish or a mouse?"

Why? Why did my mind have to be so cruel? These memories ... I just wanted to forget it all.

"Come on, mousey." I looked up to see a silhouette of him, walking ahead of me, turning his head to shoot me that smile.

I looked down and walked forward. I got my plate of food and sat down at the table he and I usually sat at.

"Stop doing that, you're making it worse." I looked up to see a phantom Daniel glaring at me.

Slowly, I reached up and touched my ear. They were still minorly red, but they were all healed up, thanks to Daniel.

Suddenly I stood, wanting to run out of my memories.

"Desiree?" I turned to see Olivia looking anxious. "Are you okay?"

I stared at the girl who was about five inches taller than me. I slowly sat back down. "I'm-I'm fine." I mumbled.

She took a seat where I had previously seen the phantom Daniel. "We all knew about Sharon. Not that she did that to your locker, but..." She looked anxious. "We never said anything about her because we knew how much you cared for her."

I wrinkled my brow. "Huh?"

"She ... well, she only went out with Robin because you were in love with him." Olivia said, trying to break it to me. The way she winced, she knew she failed.

"What?" I asked, completely shocked. "What are you saying?"

"She only went out with him because of you. I don't know what twisted mind she has, but we all knew she didn't really like him, but he's infatuated with-"

"You're lying!" I yelled. She had to be. I was barely keeping it together, but if this was true, that the girl who I had trusted for over twelve years, she did this to me ... all this time... "Please ... tell me this isn't true." I pleaded with eyes that shone with unshed tears.

Olivia looked at me, a deep sadness in her eyes, but she didn't say a word.

I stood and ran. Back to the place where I found myself running to lately.

There, behind the bleachers, I sat. And as I sat there ... I kept remembering Daniel's words ... everything he said about Sharon ... was right.

D'awww.