(55) Friends Are In Places I Don't Realize

Chapter 55

By the time I knew it, school had finally let out. I rushed to the bus, wanting to leave this place. It had too many memories of him ... of Daniel...

Just before I reached mine, I heard someone yell my name. I looked to see a dark figure running towards me. “Caleb?”

“I meant to ask you this morning, but it slipped my mind.” He said, out of breath as he reached in his back pocket. “My mom got me these tickets to the Jacksonville Wolves baseball game. The person I was going to go with bailed on me.”

“Sorry to hear that.” I said genuinely.

“I just thought about you. Maybe you’d like to get out the house?” He asked. His words were kind and implied that I could refuse without him getting upset over it.

If it were Daniel, he would have told me, “Be ready in thirty minutes!”

I looked up at Caleb. “I ... I don’t-”

“I’m only asking as a friend. Nothing more. It’s my way of apologizing for the loss of your friend.” He said softly, his pastel green eyes  gazed at mine with a sorrowful gleam.

I bit my lip and nodded. “O-Okay.”

“Great.” He said with a warm smile. He handed me one of the tickets. “I wrote my number on the back of here, so call me if you need a ride.”

I nodded and watched him turn and walk away. I was surprised at how broad his back looked. It was the first time I ever paid attention. It wasn't as big as Daniel’s but definitely broader than Robin's.

Robin. I should have guessed it would have never worked between the two of us. Like they say, “First loves never last.” And today, I gave up the ghost of a possible future with Robin.

Actually, it was last night that I gave up the ghost. When I admitted that I had fallen in love with Daniel.

I got on the bus just as the bus was about to take off. I looked toward the seat we had always shared. There was someone sitting there. I took  my seat in the first row and turned my back on the memories.

Two minutes later, the bus started to slow down. I looked up to see we were pulling up at the first bus stop. On a whim, I got off there.

I walked to Anira’s store.

As soon as I walked in, Anira spotted me. tHe look of pure joy only made me feel more depressed. “Desiree! How’s it going?”

I hid my face my bowing my head. “I’m ... not with Daniel anymore.” I whispered. Anira was so quiet for so long that I looked up.

She was looking at me with wide eyes. “What? What happened?”

“I ... I broke up with him.”

“That doesn’t explain anything!” Anira half-yelled. “Cara, can I take my lunch?”

From the back I heard someone with a musical voice reply, “Go ahead.”

Anira put a hand on my shoulder. “Come on, we’re going to speak somewhere more private.”