(22) Definitely Would Be Torturous...

Chapter 22

I was sitting in my designated seat in band, tuning my clarinet like I did every day. I don’t know whether it was because I’ve been very much obsessed with him, but my eyes instinctively looked up to see Robin entering the band room. He wore a white T-shirt today with comfy blue jeans that matched his eyes.

I felt my stomach give birth to butterflies as I tracked his movements from the entrance of the room all the way to his band locker.

And then the butterflies were chased away by the piercing pain as I watched Sharon’s blond head bounce into view as she glomped Robin.

I hated when she glomped. I didn’t understand why she liked being so close...suddenly, I was thinking of someone who had been very close just less than an hour ago. Those dark eyes boring into my dark brown ones as though they were seeing every secret hidden within me.

A heartening thump banged in my chest and I clutched at it with a quizzical feeling running through me. Why was my heartbeat out of control, and why did it seem like the room was too hot?

“Desiree!” I heard.

I looked up to see Sharon waving wildly for me to come over. Robin stood next to her, looking more chipper than usual. And we were making eye contact.

Before I knew it, I was standing in front of the couple. Sharon was clutching onto robin’s muscular arm like a flea clutched on to an animal. I felt that stabbing pain in my chest again.

“Wow Dezzy, you look awesome!” It felt like I couldn’t breathe when I heard those words. Had they really came out of Robin’s mouth? With my eyes wide, I looked up at Robin.

Sharon cleared her throat. “Desiree doesn’t like it when you call her Dezzy, isn’t that right?” Sharon suddenly said.

“Uh,” I looked back and forth between the two, Sharon’s hard ice-blue eyes and Robin’s soft sky-blue ones. “N-no, it’s okay. Th-thank you for the compliment,” I whispered, unable to talk regularly.

I happened to glance over to Sharon and quickly averted my eyes. She was glaring at me.

“So seven on Friday?” Sharon nearly spit out.

Before I could respond, the bell rang.

“Make sure to tell Daniel, okay?” Sharon pointedly said before dragging Robin off with her.

I really didn’t want to go on a double date! First of all, it was hard enough keeping up the boyfriend-girlfriend thing without meeting Sharon outside of school. Second of all, it was torturous enough seeing Sharon and Robin lovey-dovey at school, but to see them on an actual date? That was too much! And I would have to act like I actually liked Daniel when the guy I actually liked was going to be sitting right in front of me, making goo goo eyes at another girl.

I most definitely couldn’t handle that. But Sharon wouldn’t listen to me if I told her we couldn’t...Daniel. I’d have to ask him to talk to Sharon and tell her he was busy or something.

It was the only way I’d escape a night full of torture.