(31) A Little Sister Bonding?

Chapter 31

My eyes were as wide as saucers. Of all the things Anira could do, I didn’t expect her to ask that. I looked up at Daddy to see him looking grim. I could tell he didn’t like Daniel, especially with the way the two of them had just gone at it.

Daddy sighed and shut his eyes. The look on his face said that he felt like he was going to regret his decision later. “It’s fine with me.”

Anira smiled. “Thank you Mr. Walters!” Anira said. “I don’t feel guilty now. I kinda felt bad that I was invited and he had to go home to an empty house-”

“Excuse us for  a moment!” I cut in, “I ... have a question about something Anira bought me the other day, so I’m going to my room with her for bit.” I said quickly, grabbing Anira by the hand with my uninjured hand and walked briskly to my room, closing the door behind me. I twirled around and looked at Anira. What I was going to demand never came out. My mouth was open, but I couldn’t form any words.

“I was just trying to help you out. I see Daniel’s now my little brother.” She looked at me with a smile and her arms folded.

“B-because Daniel was here when my dad came home. If my dad ... If he found out our relationship, he would kill him!”

“Ohhh. Got it. But isn’t it a great idea to get your dad used to Daniel?” Anira suggested.

I felt the guilt pang swish through me again like I did before. I ducked my head down and used a hand to move some hair behind my ear.

“What happened to your hand?” Anira asked, panic clear in her voice as she pulled on my hand so she could inspect it.

“Oh, I was a little clumsy earlier and my hand slipped and got burned by the oven.” I tried taking my hand back, but Anira held on.

“I’ve got some burn cream in my purse.” She rummaged through her bag, which looked more like a small backpack than a purse, and pulled out a small dark green tube. “Do you have an ace bandage?” She asked.

“Yeah. It should be in my nightstand drawer.” I went and searched for it. After I pulled out the flesh-colored thing, Anira ordered me to sit down on the bed and she applied the cream before she wrapped my hand in the bandage.

“Alright,” she said as she fastened the last silver clip in place, “I think the guys have waited for a while. They won’t appreciate it any longer.”

“Thank you.” I whispered.

“No problem.” She ruffled my head. “Seriously, I’m going to start calling you little sister.” She aww’ed over me and ruffled my hair again before we got to the kitchen where Daddy and Daniel sat on opposite side of the table. The tension was so bad that it was hard for me to even swallow correctly.

I tugged on Anira’s sleeve. When she bent down, I whispered, “I don’t think they’re going to get along anytime soon.”

The expression on Anira’s face said she wanted to agree with me, but with a small smile, she assured me, saying, “They’ll come around, I’m pretty sure.”

And to think we would have to eat dinner in this kind of atmosphere!