(57) The Ice Dragon

I'm pretty doggone proud of this chapter! :)

Chapter 57

“Who dares to enter my office unannounced?” The coldness of the voice sent shivers down my spine.

Behind me, the door barged open and in tunneled five security guards, one of them being Mr. Bubbles.

Two of them took a hold of me by my arms.

“Sorry Mrs. Slater. I was remiss in my duties.” Mr. Bubbles bowed.

“You! Will all due respect, I understand you moved him because of his fond feelings for me, but to keep moving him every time he falls for another girl, how cold can you be?” Anira slammed a hand on the desktop.

Mrs. Slater looked over her glasses at Anira, no emotion showing on her face. Then she sighed and removed her glasses. “It’s okay Rome. Please leave them to me.”

Mr. Bubbles, or Rome, bowed again and turned and left. The two security guards holding me let me go and followed him. The door shut with a resounding click, and then everything was way too quiet.

“Well?” Anira’s angry word reverberated through the entire office.

“Miss Carswell, I have a duty to protect my offspring.”

“Protect?! Protect?! From whom? Himself?”

“If need be, then yes.”

Anira let off a false laugh. “You’re really something, you know that? Your son starts getting attached to something in his life, and yet his cold mother wants to seep out all of his human characteristics from him. To make him just and cold and unloving as she is. No wonder your husband left you.”

“Anira!” I said.

Suddenly, Mrs. Slater stood in a fluid motion. Even if she was just a bit shorter than Anira, her stare was intimidating. “I do not appreciate you coming into my territory and ridiculing me.”

“Ridicule? I’m telling the straight-point truth! It’s because of you that your son has become the playboy that he is!”

“I regret to inform you that it was your ignorance of his feelings that made him that monster-”

“Regardless! This girl has finally drawn him out of his shell! Pulling them apart would only shove him deeper into that dark shell!”

Mrs. Slater’s cold eyes moved from Anira to me, and I took a step back involuntarily. A look of skepticism took over her expression as she rounded the desk and stepped over to me. “A girl who cannot even take a stand for herself? A girl who has someone else fighting instead of herself? How could she be anything but harmful to Daniel’s life!”

I gasped. “I-I-I can stand up for myself!”

She looked down her nose at me, and I wished so bad that I was wearing heels so that I was at least a couple inches taller. “I can see very well that you cannot. You can’t even work! If it weren’t for Daniel, your father would be jobless.”

My eyes widened.

“If I were you, I’d be begging to stay in my good graces, not barging in and fouling  my mood, little girl.”

“Desiree! Don’t listen to her!” Anira yelled.

“And you,” Mrs. Slater whirled around to face Anira, “I’ve been lenient this far because you have been quiet, but I wouldn’t push my patience any further. Something could happen to that store you’re so fond of.”

Rage built inside of Anira. It showed all over her face. “Are you threatening my job? You wouldn’t be able to-”

Mrs. Slater walked back to her desk and pressed a button on her business-looking telephone. “I wouldn't be so sure. I’ve got strong connections with a lot of higher ups. Not just in the media business, but also in fashion.”

A couple seconds later, the door flew open and my heart gave off a hard thump as my eyes widened. “Daniel...” I whispered.