Chapter 31

Ava's POV

I pulled away from him. Wow! he just kissed me. I couldn't believe it. All the anger faded away for a moment in pure bliss. My hands touched my lips that still tingled from his kiss. My heart was racing. I could not focus on the current situation. I couldn't help but ask him, "Why did you do this, Amadeo?"

"Because I wanted to." he said turning me around to face him. He again caged me in his arms, pressing his forehead against mine.

"I wanted to for so long. You drive me crazy mia tesoro." he said with a smile.

I closed my eyes taking a deep breath. No, I can't give into this." You are very precious to me Ava." he said.

"I don't believe you." I said opening my eyes. His smile faded as guilt washed over him. His grip loosened over me and I stepped away from his hold.

"How can I believe you? You never tell me anything clearly. Maybe you have just been lying this whole time Amadeo. I could've died last night. And my only thought yesterday was whether or not I would return to my baby."

"I'm sorry Ava putting you in that position but you know I would never hurt you." He said.

"I know nothing Amadeo. All you have done is to hide everything from me and now I have to fear of losing my life. Is that what you wanted all along. To bring me here and kill me?" I asked frantically.

"Ava stop." he screamed as if my words had physically hurt him. "I will never do that to you. Trust me please I could never do that to you."

"That man. You told him you would kill me if you had to. Why did you say that?" I asked.

"I had to Ava. To get him off your back."

"I don't even know him. What on earth are you talking about?"

"I thought I could protect you. I took you there just to lure your brother out. I thought you are safe unaware."

"What has Nate got to do with anything? I

don't understand what is going on?"

"You are right about one thing Ava. I have lied to you. Believe me I didn't want you to be tied to this shit. But fuck you were already since the day you brother decided to join our world."

"I still don't understand you."

"You might want to sit for this one. It's going to take a while."

And boy it did take a long while.

Amadeo's POV

"Can I get you anything?" I asked.

"I'm fine. No thank you." She said. She was currently sitting on her bed and I was with her. I had always dread of this moment. What her reaction will be about all these. Fuck I am never this nervous. Not even the first time I held a gun. I look at her to find her staring at me. The white bandage flashing beneath her neckline.

"How is your wound?" I ask.

"I'm fine Amadeo! Get back to what we are supposed to talk about. Stop stalling please."

Damn.... she is so sexy when she is angry. I pressed my lips together to prevent the smile.

"Do you recall what I had told you about my line of work?" I ask her. She nods and says,

"Yes. Something along the lines of illegal ammunition dealings."

"Yes well. that's not just it. there's more to it."

"Okay what else is there?" She asked.

"You see we are an organization from all over Italy which is mainly based here, Sicily. we were leaded by a man Lucas Bocelli. people regard him as godfather."

"What do you mean 'were'? is he..."

"Yes, he died. Remember I told you I was away for a while?"

"Yes. the time when Nathaniel infiltrated your business."

I nodded. "Yes, at that time I was ‎visiting him. he was very sick at that time. he was frantic and saying all sorts of things like how he was proud of me and how he considered me as his own. He ordered me to take his position after he dies. I was shocked but surprisingly my father wasn't. He had already discussed it with Lucas and also tried to refuse him on my behalf."

"Why you? He could've chosen anyone." She asked.

"He always had a soft spot for me. I am his godson. Everything I learnt about this business is from him. I spent a better part of my teen years with him." I said.

"You mean he is literally your godfather?" She asked amusingly.

"Yeah and we had this bond that my father would get jealous of often. It was hard to watch him die. I did what he told me. I took over and the community with the support of majority. But there were a few who refused to support me and the most important was Salvador Bocelli." I clenched my jaw at his mention.

"Bocelli? Is he related to your godfather?" She asked.

"Yes. He is his son."

Ava gasped. "Oh boy he must have been pissed. Mr. Bocelli chose you over his own son."

"He is the man you saw last night." I said.

Her eyes widened. " What?" she said. I could see the fear returning in her.

"He attacked us. Oh my God."

"Yes, and he was the one who hired your brother to infiltrate into my business. Due to my absence he managed to really fuck up everything. A lot of my people died and I lost a lot of ammunition. All because of Salvo and your brother."

"Did Nate kill people?" she asked with tears in her eyes.

I nodded. She closed her eyes and tears trailed down her cheeks. "Oh God."

She opened her eyes, looked up at me and said," What is it that you do, Amadeo? Why does your job allow killing, kidnapping and attacks on people?"

I took a deep breath. Now or never.

"I am the mafia."