Chapter 37

3 weeks later

Ava's POV

I opened the door to the room and Alex was standing on his cot smiling at me.

"Mama!" he said.

"Hi, baby boy. Somebody had a good nap." I said as I picked him up and kissed him.

"Should we get you a snack, bubba?" I asked.

"Nak!" he said enthusiastically.

"Ok let's go," I said. I was about to give him a rice cracker when he pulled at my necklace.

"Mama!" he said.

It was the heart-shaped blue sapphire pendant Amadeo had given me.

"Alex, don't play with that," I said giving him the cracker. I touched the pendant thinking of him. 

It has been three weeks and I miss him so much. He did not mention how long he was going to be away for so I have no idea when he is going to be back.

"Oh Ava!" said Mrs. Rossi.

"What is it, Maria?" I asked.

"Amadeo. He has arrived," she said smiling from ear to ear.

A burst of happiness and anticipation filled my heart. He came back to me.

"Oh sweetheart, look at that smile. No more moping around the house from now," she said. I tucked my hair away shyly.

"Let us go and receive him," she said.

We went to the front hall where almost everyone was present. Daniel found us first.

"Hey, sunshine! Hey, there little man" he said taking Alex from me.

"You are growing up so fast. You are not so little anymore," he said.

"Tell me about it," I said smiling.

Then he entered. His eyes fell on me. The first thing I noticed was his growing beard which used to be just a five o'clock shadow. Oh, my sweet god! How much more dashing could this guy be? He hugged his mother all the while not taking his eyes off of me. After kissing his mother Amadeo was about to advance towards me when his father came across to talk to him and actually that made me sad. My heart raced every time he looked at me. Samantha came out with little baby Vivia.

"Hey, how are you?" I asked.

"I'm doing better. This little one had a rough night but now she is asleep so that's a relief," she said smiling at her daughter. She looked over my shoulder and scrunched her eyebrows. I turned around and saw Amadeo who grabbed me by the waist and kissed me. My lips parted in shock. Wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his body, I gasped when his lips moved against mine with a passion I never felt before. His tongue swept along my lips, the same time his hands cupped my face. Everything happened so fast. His kiss was urgent and needy that made my head spin. I held onto his shoulders for support. I could hear the wolf whistles and gasps going out on the back but I could care less about anything other than the devilishly handsome man kissing me right now. I could feel his heart beating fast underneath my palm. When he finally released me, we were both out of breath.

"Okay Alex, I think it is safe to open your eyes now," said Daniel who I noticed now had a hand over Alex's eyes. Everybody started laughing and awing at us. I blushed and looked at Amadeo who was equally flushed but he looked at me with a pained expression. The smile on my face dropped. I reached out to touch his face.