Chapter 26: Helplessness

(Y/n POV)

Helplessness... It's such a familiar feeling. Unable to help my brother. Unable to help myself. Why must I always fail...

Stirring my eyes open, I adjust to the area surrounding me. The night sky is still up, while there are faint blinking lights from the lamp posts around us. Ringing in my ears, I hear the faint sound of ambulance and police sirens beeping in the background as well as some chattering of people around.

I try to move my body, finding myself restrained onto a stretcher.

"... We've neutralised the toxin, however we will take her in for testing. No major injuries, though we will need to do some work on her left arm..." I hear a stranger hovering near me say.

My vision, though blurry, is able to make out faint outlines of different people; Best Jeanist, policemen, Umbre from earlier, the other colleagues. I let out a heavy sigh of gratitude; happy that no one apart from me was immensely injured.

I stir slightly, grabbing the paramedics attention who warns me, "Don't exert yourself miss; you've taken quite a few hits and we just neutralised the poison inside of you."

I try to make a sound but my throat goes coarse and I am unable to utter any understandable words. Nevertheless, I seem to catch Best Jeanist's attention and he walks over quickly.

"(Y/n)! I'm sorry you got put into such a dangerous situation. You did well. Good job," Best Jeanist moves a strand of my hair out of my face and I instinctively lean into the warmth of his finger.

I gently place my hand into my pocket and bring out a small vial which I stole earlier that night. Best Jeanist's eyes widen at the sight of it and watches me place it into his palm.

I smile kindly at him as tears fall from my eyes, "I couldn't do anything... All I got was this." .

As I rest my eyes, I faintly hear Best Jeanist say to me, "You did well".

Ah... Did I really do that well though... I didn't do anything

I feel a tear run down my cheek as I find Best Jeanist's words bittersweet.

I then close my eyes once more, succumbing to my exhausted body.

__________

Next day...

The familiar smell of disinfectant fills my nose once more, making me stir awake. I slowly raise myself from the white sheets of the bed, feeling the touch of the blanket as I run my hands all over the bed. My eyes begin to focus as I make out the figures inside the room with me.

"Ah you have awaken (Y/n)," my eyes focus once more as I look up and see Best Jeanist leaning against the wall, "You have a few injuries but they will all heal eventually. You're currently at the Genius office resting in one of the spare resting rooms. I brought you here after the hospital cleared you."

My gaze slowly turns to my left arm which is bandaged and wrapped up neatly. I run my right fingers on the bandages and sorrowfully stare into my injury.

"My left arm... Don't lie to me. There's permanent damage to it isn't there?" I trace circles into my left bandaged arm as my voice roughly calls out to Best Jeanist.

"About that... Listen (Y/n)," Best Jeanist pauses and walks up to my bed, kneeling and looking straight into my eyes, "your left arm went through lots of damage; it'll take a while for it to heal on its own with your quirk, maybe even a year. So for now, the doctors recommend not overstraining your arm before it gets worse alright? It doesn't mean you can't use it, you just can't overdo it alright?"