21.

GIA POV

After putting river to sleep I walked out to see a distraught summer in our home. "Umm summer weren't you with Kai? Where is he?". She started crying hysterically. "Summer what's wrong?" I asked. Delano came out hearing the noise "what's going on here?".

"That's what I'm trying to figure out... summer?" I asked. She took a deep breath in "Kai was arrested".

"Say what?! Why?!" I panicked.

"Because we were trespassing by being at the park after dusk hours" she said.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Wait he shouldn't have gotten arrested. Maybe a warning and that's it" Delano said.

"Oh hell no! I'm going to get our son out of there!" I grabbed my car keys "my dad arrested him". Turning to summer "your dad is a cop?". She nodded with tears steaming down her face "he's a dirty cop".

I needed to protect my son but I also needed someone who knew a lot about law enforcement.
"Harlow?" I yelled. She came out rubbing her eyes "what?".

"Come on Kai got arrested and I need your expertise" I said. She smiled "yes! Wait for me!". She ran back to her room to change. Few minutes later she ran to me "let's go!".

"Summer stay here and relax" I said. She nodded and sat on the couch. Harlow and I raced to the precinct to get Kai. When we walked in there Harlow seemed like a tourist.

"Can I help you?" A man asked.

"Yes I'm here to get my son out of here. His name is kai. Tall, blonde hair and hazel eyes sometimes they change" the cop looked at me like I was crazy. "Ma'am I'm sorry but you said your son has blonde hair and light eyes?".

"You heard what she said. You're discriminating cause she's of color!" Harlow said. The cop got nervous "hold on ma'am".

He went to the back for a few and came back "I found him follow me". Harlow and I made our way to the holding cell. Poor Kai was in bad shape. They hurt him. "Kai!" I yelled. He smiled at me. A big black guy stood up "can I help you?".

"No you may not. Unless your name is kai" Harlow said.

"Oh kai is yours! He's been a bad boy trespassing" he said.

"I think you're bored. Who arrests someone for trespassing anyway?! I mean if that's the case a lot more people would be in here" Harlow said.

"Little girl mind your business!" He said.

"Mind your neck... oh wait you haven't seen your neck in years. Someone needs to put down the donuts and pick up a protein bar instead" Harlow said.

"I could arrest you" he said.

"Ooo I'm scared" Harlow said.

"Look my son shouldn't be in there! You arrested him for no reason" I said.

"He was resisting arrest" he said.

Harlow eyed him up and down "I doubt that... Kai looks beaten up. Which means police brutality".

Kai stood up slowly limping to us "is summer okay?".

"Yeah she's fine" I said. He gave me a small smile "good... when can I get out of here?".

"Now! They can't hold you anymore. It's against the law... what college did you get your degree in?" Harlow asked.

"John Jay... one of the best colleges in the country" he said.

"You should give them the degree back cause obviously you didn't pay attention in class" Harlow said.

The other cop opened the cell allowing Kai to come out. He could barely walk straight. Something was wrong. Mean mugging the cop "you messed with the wrong one".

"Yeah you big dummy!" Harlow yelled. She helped me walk kai to the car "are you okay?". He sighed "my stomach hurts".

"Did he do something to you?" I asked.

He nodded "he hit me with his stick in my stomach". Shaking my head I closed the car door and raced to my side. Reaching the hospital Harlow helped me walk kai inside. The nurse saw the bad shape he was in and took us in right away.

Hours passed and the doctor came in "alright so with all the testing we did.. your son has an inflamed tissue in his stomach due to trauma".

"That means what?" I asked.

"Which means we will have to keep him overnight for observation. If things are good tonight he'll be home tomorrow". Harlow and I looked at each other "get comfortable".

"Oh I was. I stole this pillow and cover from the cart back there. I wouldn't leave Kai by himself" Harlow said.

"Me either. Almost lost him once I can't imagine losing him a second time" I said. Harlow looked at me and back at Kai who was sleep due to the medicine they gave him. I sat close to him holding his hand in mine.