37.

DELANO POV

I've dealt with some things that I can have say on

I've dealt with some things that I can have say on. But what just happened to Harlow I was stunned and speechless. Not knowing the right thing to say. But not wanting to say the wrong thing either. That's why the only thing I could say was are you okay. With Harlow I'm not sure how to go about things. She's not like Salem. She comes off as this tough girl.

I wanted to tell Gia what happened but also I wanted to try and figure this out on my own. She can't keep telling me what might work. Harlow is my daughter too. Gia was trying to see what was going on but I just ignored her and went to Harlow's room. I knew summer wasn't around cause Kai wasn't home either. They were always together. Young love.

Walking into Harlow's room without knocking she was lathering up some cream. Glancing at the bottle... bleach cream? She must've not heard me come in the room. Why is bleach cream familiar?. Thinking back... and I mean way back... one of my workers who was from Jamaica used it, saying how it was the thing in her country. Realizing what Harlow was doing I grabbed her "what are you doing?!". She jumped "get out!".

Taking a shirt that was on the floor and wiping her hands clean. She looked at me upset. "You didn't knock! Get out!".

"Are you crazy?! Using bleach to lighten your skin! For what?!" I yelled.

She broke down in tears "because you don't like me like how you like Salem". Blinking a few times "what?".

Wiping her face "it's true! You like Salem more than me. You make it so noticeable too! At least if you don't like me don't shove it in my face!".

"Harlow... you are my daughter. I love you as much as I love Salem. Nothing can change that. Not even your skin color. You are a beautiful little girl! Do you know what you were about to do to your beautiful dark skin?".

She sniffled "you just saying this and then in an hour you'll go back to disliking me again".

"Harlow come here. Stand in front of me" I said. She slowly got up and walked over to me. She wouldn't look at me. Honestly I haven't seen her this sad before. Moving her hair out the way "listen to me... I'm going to try to explain this the best way I know how. I don't love you and Salem any more than one another. It's about the same. Just like Ryan and Kai and the twins too. Salem is a more of a needy and sensitive soul. While you are a tough, independent, wonderful soul. If I'm paying Salem too much attention then I apologize. But I don't ever want you to sit here and think that I don't like you because of your skin. I would never ever..." her tears were falling but she was looking at the ground.

"How come everyone else hates my skin? Like that woman who accused me of stealing?" She asked.

"She was an ignorant racist that's all. And I'm so sorry that happened. I must say you were right about the racism thing. I may not understand fully because I won't experience it like you. I should've done more but she caught me off guard. With those situations anything can happen" I said.

She sniffled again.

"And the other day when I wanted to take you out. It was on my part not moms. Was looking forward to hanging out with you that day" I said.

She continued to look down at the ground "sorry".

"Don't be sorry. You have one thing from your mom and that is you both are very stubborn". She wiped her face from the fallen tears. "Sometimes I know when you force yourself to come near me is because mom wanted you to. I just want you to come on your own. Because you wanted to come around me".

"I could never force myself. If I come around you is because I want to. Just like when we went to see mermaids and I bought you that doll... you were so happy that day. I still have that picture of you with the doll at that place".

"You do? Where?" She asked.

"In the truck. I love how happy you were that day" I said.

She moved from me and went to get something out the bin next to her bed. It was the mermaid doll. "You still have it? Wow!".

"It's my favorite doll" she said holding it. "And it's the only thing you ever got me".

"It seems like you need a new one. Come on let's go get one and then we can go get something to eat too" I said. She wiped her face quickly and fixed herself. "Is that okay with you?" I asked. She nodded quickly grabbing my hand. Pulling her into a hug "remember nothing can ever change my love for you. Everything about you is beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you different".