29.

GIA POV

"You two just keep growing!" I smiled. Both of them are growing at the rate they should be. When I returned home I saw Harlow sitting on the couch with the tv off. Hold up? It's like twelve in the afternoon "Umm why are you not in school?".

She sighed "ask dad".

Walking to where Delano was "why is she home?".

"Oh Bruce Lee? She chopped some girl in the throat sending her to the hospital" he said.

"Are you serious?" I asked.

He nodded "yup, then she tried to blame race on why she was suspended for defending herself. Which is ridiculous".

"Well not as ridiculous as you think. She may have a point but that doesn't give her the right to put her hands on someone" I said.

"Look... lets go talk to her" he said. Walking back to the living room Harlow was doling both Ryder and River. "So didn't you promise me you wouldn't use your teachings on anyone?".

"Yeah but this girl is always trying me. Then she said salem was a drug addict!" She said.

"Harlow I get that may have upset you. But putting hands on people is a big NO! If anything just walk away" I said.

"Nah then she'll think she's winning. Can't have her thinking that" she said.

"You're missing the point" I said.

"Just like the point she missed about the whole race issue" Delano chimed in.

"Delano hold that thought... Harlow I know with you being the darkest and with this country today it can be very hard and confusing. Dad doesn't really understand about discrimination or unfair treatment due to skin color. It's something you understand through experience".

"Gia have you been through any discrimination?" Delano asked.

"Really? Your mother! She hated me because I am black, how could you forget that?!" I asked.

"Damn, that's right! Shit! Sorry! Hated that women. She put you through so much!" patting Delano on his shoulder "I know, I know... but also try and understand where Harlow is coming from. Have an open mind. Trust me when I say you won't experience half the experiences our children will face" I said.

"Sorry Harlow! I guess I didn't understand the real issue. I can try and understand but I don't know how much that'll do".

Harlow shrugged "eh... it's whatever at this point".

"Daddy just needs to open his eyes. Don't know where his mind is lately" I joked. Harlow went back to playing with Ryder and River. Delano and I went back to the kitchen "wow I'm in disbelief!".

"About what?" I asked.

"My mom treating you like that. You didn't deserve anything she did to you" he said.

"Don't worry about it. I had the last laugh anyway" I smiled.

"True but it still sucks that our children will be seen for their skin color rather than their character. Look at Kai... he went through police brutality for his skin color".

"Exactly! You're getting it little by little" I said.

"Oh I punished Harlow. She can't watch any television or tablet screens for a week" he said.

"Well damn Delano finally punished someone. Wow! I'm in shock" I said.

"I've been a little distracted with all that's going on. But I'm going to try to be the disciplinarian once in a while" he said.

"Have you never been discriminated against?" I asked. He shook his head "not that I can think of".

"Thought so" I said.

"What about you? Excluding my mother" he asked.

"I mean yeah, being followed in a store, or even being watched when you're walking somewhere. I remember being at a supermarket and I was looking for an item. It's tough! But I was used to it... sad to say" Delano hugged me "don't worry no one will ever do that to you again".

"Wrong person you're hugging. I can handle whatever comes my way. Go hug Harlow letting her know it's okay" I said. He pulled away "oh yeah lost the point of this". Playfully smacking his chest "go!".

Watching him walk up to Harlow. He pulled her into a tight hug mumbling "it'll be okay, daddy is here!". When he pulled away Harlow looked at him weird. She looked at me confused. He came back and smiled "things went good... now hopefully Harlow will listen and not chop anyone else".

Shaking my head I went into kai's room to straighten up. Picking up clothes off the floor and also making up his bed. Moving the comforter a wrapper fell out. Examining the wrapper I notice it's a condom wrapper. My head felt so light I had to sit down. But not on his bed... this is what I was trying to prevent from happening. Jesus take the damn wheel.

At least he's protecting himself but still.... taking a few deep breaths. So many things running through my head. Then what if she's like me and summer gets pregnant on the first time. Lord. Grabbing the clothes I left his room.