6. Smells Like Teen Spirit

|| The woods ||

Elena's training on one of Alaric's mannequnis. He shows her how to stake a vampire with a sleeve and two stakes in it, Scarlett is with them. She's practicing a spell.

"So the pressure of your punch ejects the stakes." Alaric says.

"Easy enough." Elena tries but the stakes stay in the sleeve. "That's weird." She tries again but it doesn't work. "Must be jammed or something."

Scarlett shares a look with Alaric trying not to laugh.

"You're not strong enough. Better start lifting some weights, put some meat on your bones." Alaric says.

"Thanks for not sugar-coating it." She says.

He takes something on his bag and shows it to her. "You know what this is?"

"A vervain grenade. I've used one before." Elena says.

"Then you know the element of surprise is your only advantage when it comes to a vampire." He pulls the pin out of a grenade and throws it in Elena's hand. "Surprise." he says.

"Oh my god." Elena throws it in the air, Scarlett uses her powers to lift it up higher and the grenade explodes. "This isn't a joke to me, Ric."

"You think I'm joking? Vampires will take whatever they want. They will hurt whoever they want. And they'll do it without remorse. It's their nature." He say.

"You don't have to use pronouns. You can say Stefan." Elena says.

"Look, I get why you're here. Stefan hurt you. You don't want it to happen again." He says.

"Can I train?" Scarlett asks, Alaric nods his head and hands her a sleeve with two stakes.

"But you think that I'm crazy. To believe that I can protect myself from a vampire who's flipped the switch on his humanity. Look Scarlett is doing just fine." Elena says.

"I've been taking self defense classes since I could walk. I had to much pent up anger issues, from being a witch, and have the werewolf gene, dad signed me up." Scarlett says.

"I think you found a way to get out of bed this morning. And that makes you the strongest person I know. I think that you can do pretty much anything." He gives her the sleeve with the stakes. She puts the sleeve back. Scarlett shows her some techniques, to use her body weight since she isn't strong enough.

|| Salvatore House ||

Someone knocks on the door. Damon opens. It's Rebekah. She enters with shopping bags

"Where's Stefan?" Rebekah asks.

"Who the hell are you?" Damon asks.

"He left me here. My brother actually left me here." She says.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Your tone implies that I'm actually supposed to care." Stefan says.

"You're Klaus's sister?" Damon asks.

"Rebekah. Pleasure, I'm sure. Which one's my room?" She asks.

"You're not staying here." Stefan says, She then looks at Damon but he doesn't say nothing. "Rude. Both of you. I'll see to it myself." She goes toward the stairs.

"So I guess she's staying here." Stefan says.

|| Mystic Falls High School ||

Matt parks his truck. Vicki appears next to him. "You were always so much better at being a part of this than I was." She says. Matt looks at her, surprised. "Sorry." She apologizes.