11. Playthings

𝘼𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙋𝙞𝙚𝙧𝙥𝙤𝙣𝙩 𝙄𝙣𝙣, 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙧𝙤𝙖𝙙𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙬𝙚𝙩 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙖𝙞𝙧 𝙢𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙮 as Sam, Dean, Jermey, and Scarlett park the Impala in front of the inn. Dean gets out of the driver's side.

"Dude, this is sweet. I never get to work jobs like this." Dean says.

"Like what?" Sam asks.

"Old school haunted houses, you know? Fog, and secret passageways...sissy British accents. Might even run into Fred and Daphne while we're inside." Dean closes his eyes briefly
"Mmm, Daphne. Love her."

Jeremy stares at him weirded out, Scarlett laughs at Jermey's expression.

As they go up the steps, Sam notices an urn on the side of the porch.

"Hey, wait a sec." Sam inspects it more closely. "I'm not so sure haunted's the problem."

"What do you mean?" Dean asks.

"You see this pattern here?" Sam taps a five-point symbol engraved in the urn. "That's a quincunx, that's a five-spot."

"Five-spot." Dean says.

"Yeah." Sam says.

"That's used for hoodoo spellwork, isn't it?" Jeremy asks.

"Right, yeah. You fill this thing with bloodweed and you've got a powerful charm to ward off enemies." Sam says.

"Yeah, except I don't see any bloodweed. Don't you think this place is a little too, uh, whitemeat for hoodoo?" Dean asks.

"Maybe." Sam shrugs.

              𝘼𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙧, 𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙦𝙪𝙞𝙚𝙩 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙤𝙧, Susan enters briskly.

"May I help you?" Susan asks.

"Hi, yeah, I'd like two room for a couple of nights." Dean says.

As Sam moves in, Tyler darts in front of his legs, chased by Maggie, who runs behind him.

"Hey!" Susan says. "Sorry about that." She tells Sam.

"No problem." Sam smiles.

"Well, um, congratulations, you could be some of our final guests."

"Well. Sounds vaguely ominous." Scarlett smiles a little.

"No, I'm sorry, I mean we're closing at the end of the month." She says. "Well, let me guess. You guys are here antiquing?" She looks at Dean and Sam.

Dean sharing a "why not?" look with Sam "How'd you know?"

"Oh, you just look the type." Susan says. Scarlett and Jeremy try not to laugh. Dean looks vaguely uncomfortable.

"So, uh, king-sized bed?" Susan asks.

"What? No, uh, no, we're, we're . . . two singles. We're just brothers. Scarletts with Dean, so one king-size bed. Jeremy's her brother." Sam says defensively.

"Oh. Oh, I'm so sorry." Susan apologizes.

"What'd you mean that we look the type?" Dean asks.

Susan has trouble articulating an answer.

"You know, speaking of antiques, you have a really, really interesting urn on the front porch. Where did you get that?" Scarlett asks.

"Oh, I have no idea, it's been there forever." She hands Dean the keys "Here you go, Mr. Mahagov."