Lucy's Secret

After the outburst at dinner, they had abandoned the table and Lucy led her family into the backyard, holding a small box in her hands.

"What's this about Lucy?" Romeo asked.

She felt them all stare at her. She was scared to tell them. What will they say when she tells them the truth?

She breathed in and sat on the grass, opening the box for all to see. Inside were family photos, which most were taken before Layla died.

Juvia picked a couple up and she flipped through them. She giggled at one.

"I remember when we took this! It was that trip we took to the ranch and Dad was trying to get a picture right before Gajeel fell of the horse and on his ass!" She laughed.

Gajeel grabbed the photo from her and starting growling, face as red as a strawberry. He was angry at the teasing, although, he did have a point. The photo was embarrassing...

"It wasn't my fault that the damn horse saw a mouse! How was I supposed to know that it would flip out?!" He shouted, which only made Juvia laugh harder.

"What about this one?" Jellal said as he picked up another one.

This one was taken a few years back. Jellal had just graduated high school and the family was at home to celebrate.

"When Dad got the champagne bottle open, didn't the cork hit Juvia?" Romeo asked.

This time, Gajeel burst out laughing.

With a tomato red face, Juvia shouted, "Okay, we get it!"

It became silent once more.

"Why are you showing us these, Lucy?" Jellal asked.

"Dad was looking at them before he left." Lucy says.

"What do you mean Dad was looking at them?" Juvia asked.

"He... Well-" she hesitated.

"Spit it out, sis!" Gajeel shouted.

"He told me he was leaving!" She screamed.

The four remained silent, confused by what she said.

"I saw him rummaging through the box for photos to take with him and he asked me not to say anything. I thought that he was only going to go clear his head and come back but, after a month went by... I realized that he just left us and I was too afraid to tell you guys. He told me that he was leaving and said he'd be back soon! I didn't realize that he was going to be gone for this long!" She cried.

The siblings were silent, having to process everything their sister had told them. The first to get up was Juvia. She said nothing to her sister as turned around and walked back to the house. Gajeel followed her not too long afterwards.

"Lucy, what were you thinking?" Jellal asked.

"I-I don't know! I... I-" she stuttered.

"How could you keep this from us?" He asked before he too went back to the house.

Romeo was the only one that stayed.

"So, are you going to bail too or are you just staying here to pity me?" Lucy asked before she slumped down on a rock.

Romeo picked up the photos from the ground and places them back into the box Lucy had brought.

"I stayed behind cause the house is too stuffy for me. Besides, who wants to be inside when Jellal-nii has to clean up the dining room?" he said as he sat next to his sister.

"They hate me. I just know it." Lucy said.

"Don't be like that, Lucy-nee. Sure, they're mad now but, they just need some time. That's all." Romeo assured her.

Lucy smiled as she up at the night sky.

~That Next Day~
(At Fairy Tail High)

Gajeel, Juvia, Lucy and Romeo were at school, doing what they always do.

But suddenly, the announcements came on.

"Would Gajeel, Juvia, Lucy and Romeo Heartfilia come to the principal's office, please. Thank you." they heard Mr. Goat (Capricorn-san) over the loudspeaker.

The four soon found each other in the hallway outside. Their principal, Makarov Dreyar, came out to meet them.

"Hello, brats" he greeted.

"Ohayo." Lucy smiled.

"Mornin', Gramps." Gajeel greeted.

"Hi," Romeo said.

"Good morning." Juvia answered.

"The reason you four are here is because I want you guys to show show new students around." he started.

"Sorry but, I ain't a people person, Gramps." Gajeel said as he began to leave.

"You'll get extra credit if you do this." Makarov said and Gajeel quickly sat back down.

"Each one of you will be assigned to a person and you'll have to show them around the school and make them feel welcome. If I hear so much as a complaint from them, I'll have you all expelled! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!" Makarov shouted.

The four nervously nodded, having Makarov assign them their student and have them go on their way.