Chapter 25

Okay, I probably won't be home until about two this afternoon, I need to go to the faculty lunch at Carmel after I go to your parent-teacher conference at McKinley," Shelby informed her son over breakfast. "Do you have any plans later?"

"Nope, no plans." Ryan kept eating his breakfast. The garage was closed for the day since Burt was out of town. "I might go over to meet Quinn though."

Half an hour later, Shelby was at the front door, ready to leave. "You have everything?" she asked Ryan as he opened the door for her.

"Yes, mom," Ryan drawled, before sending her a reassuring smile. "I can survive at home without you for a few hours, okay?"

Shelby sighed, laughing at herself slightly. When had she gotten this neurotic? Maybe it had something to do with all the coffee she'd consumed last night while finally finishing the reading and grading of 44 final papers for her senior students. Along with the coffee she'd used up four pens' worth of red ink. Also, the meeting at McKinley was going to be the first official parent business she was going to tackle. "Okay. I'll see you later. Leftovers are in the fridge if you need lunch."

"Have fun at school."

Shelby shot him a nasty look, only relenting when Ryan leaned over to give her a hug before pushing her gently out the door.

Ryan spent most of the morning in Shelby's music room, listening to one CD after another, trying out any song that struck his fancy. He hadn't had a chance to take Shelby up on her offer to coach him, since his mom was busy with finalizing her resignation from Carmel. He hoped to change that this week, though.

Then at around 11am, his phone chimed.

Hi Ryan. – Quinn

Ryan typed out a reply guiltily. He'd pretty much forgotten about her last night, after the unfolding drama with his mom. Hi Quinn. You okay? – Ryan

The reply took a while. Where are you? – Q

That didn't sound good. I'm at home, the garage is closed for a couple of days. You can come over if you want. – R

He hesitated before adding the last sentence. Shelby hadn't said he couldn't have friends over, but she hadn't said he could, either. Oh well, hopefully she wouldn't mind too much.

I'll be there in a few minutes. - Q

True to her word, Quinn arrived at the house within fifteen minutes. Ryan scrambled for the door at the first knock quickly opening it. "Hi." He stood back. "Come in."

"Thanks," Quinn replied quietly, looking around. "Nice house."

"Thanks. Living room's on the right," Ryan said, directing her to the said room. "Do you want anything, water, or something else? We've got more than ice cubes now, which is more than I can say for my first time here."

Quinn sent him a small smile at that. "No, I'm good, thanks."

"So what's up?" Ryan asked looking carefully at his girlfriend. She seemed tense, and sad.

The blonde girl looked at him, clearing her throat. "Ah, my dad came last night."

Oh. Oh god. He'd completely forgotten that Quinn had told him her dad was coming on Sunday night. And that was last night. He felt like a horrible person now. "And?" Ryan prodded apprehensively. It couldn't have been good if Quinn was like this.

"Yeah. It wasn't pretty. We got into it after dinner. He, uh, he basically said it was my fault our family fell apart, and none of this would have happened if I hadn't gotten pregnant." Quinn had spent half the night crying after her father had left.