Chapter 30

"Hi Shelby," Josh Corcoran greeted his older sister as she opened her front door for him.

"What do you want?" Shelby asked grumpily. It was eight on a Saturday morning and she hadn't had her coffee yet.

"Wow, so cheerful," Josh retorted. "Good morning to you too."

Shelby stepped aside to let him into the house. "Fine, good morning. Again, what are you doing here?"

"Picking up something for my boss," he explained. "I thought I'd drop in to see you and my favorite nephew."

"Only nephew."

"Details," Josh said dismissively. "Is he awake yet?"

"He's probably in the music room," Shelby said. "Do you want anything? Did you have breakfast?"

"Coffee, if you've got any, although judging from your demeanor you don't have any yet. Before I forget, Mom and Dad said they might drop by here today too." He hopped up onto one of the bar stools at the counter. "Something up?"

Shelby started putting together a pot of coffee, then stuck a couple of slices of bread into the toaster. "Just an argument with Ryan last night."

"Oh? What about?"

"Nothing important," Shelby said dismissively.

**Flashback**

"Ryan, I've been looking through the files that Principal Figgins sent me, and I found this." Shelby waved a piece of paper at her son, who glanced at it disinterestedly before shifting his focus back to the TV.

"What's that?"

"Summer homework for the incoming junior English class." That got Ryan's attention. Shelby took another look at the paper. "I don't suppose you've started yet," she said dryly. Ryan shook his head evasively. "I don't suppose you were planning on telling me about it either?"

"I'll get it done, okay?" Ryan answered, rolling his eyes and returning to the TV. "I've got plenty of time." The last thing he wanted was another reminder that school was starting again soon.

"Okay, look at me when I'm talking to you," Shelby said irritably. "And I'm not appreciating the attitude, kid."

Ryan finally looked at her. "Fine."

"There are only about three weeks left before school starts, you'd better get a move on."

"Yeah, and here I was planning to do it the night before school starts," he snipped. "Just quit nagging," he added the last part under his breath.

"What was that?" Shelby asked dangerously.

"Nothing, nothing." He stood up, surreptitiously checking his watch. He was supposed to meet Quinn, Santana, and Brittney at the Lima Bean, he might as well go if it would stop this interrogation. "Can I go now?"

Shelby's eyes flashed at his flippant tone, but let him leave. "Fine."

**End Flashback**

"It just seems like we've been clashing more lately, and I'm not really sure why," Shelby admitted. The teenager had been getting pretty moody. She'd thought he was getting better after all that drama with Hiram and Leroy, but lately he'd started acting up again.

Josh smirked slightly. "Looks like he's getting comfortable enough to start messing with you," he said. "Congratulations."

Shelby gave him an unimpressed look. "Whatever." She pulled the toast out and started spreading butter on it. "How's the wedding coming along?"