Chapter 27

For the first time ever, Shelby woke up before Ryan did. She sighed as she checked the bedside clock only to see that it was just a little past five in the morning. She hadn't been able to sleep until past twelve last night, consumed by nerves over what she was going to say to her old flame in about six hours. Accepting that she wasn't going to get any more sleep today, she got out of bed and started getting dressed.

A few minutes later she caught sight of herself in the mirror. She walked over to take a closer look. It had been such a long time since she'd seen James. Seven years. She looked...older now. Obviously, she chuckled humorlessly at herself. She glanced down, and picked up a picture on the dresser.

This was one she hadn't shown to Ryan that night when they'd talked about James. This photograph was of her and James, side by side in a street in New York.

**Flashback**

New York City, December 10th, 2003

It was closing on nine in the evening when Shelby stepped out into the street outside of the theater where she'd gotten the role of Maria in West Side Story. Once again, just an off-Broadway production, but it was a leading role, and by now her occasional acting jobs were just a hobby. This was the 16th of 18 performances, with the show set to run just until this weekend.

She ambled along the street, considering where to grab dinner. She was on her own for tonight, usually she'd be with one of her castmates, but she'd opted to be alone tonight. She always got a little depressed around this time of the year, and now it was just one week until her child's birthday. He'd be nine this year, and she constantly wondered about him – how big he was now, what he looked like, what his interests were... She sighed. Just one more week, and she was flying back to Akron to spend Christmas with her family.

She'd decided to just head home when she spotted a couple, a man and a woman, walking towards her. Her focus was instantly on the man with dark blonde hair, and recognition clicked.

Then she made the mistake of looking into his eyes.

She froze as she remembered another face with those same brown eyes, nine years ago in Doctor's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. The face of the child whose adoption she had regretted for those same nine years. Shelby just stood there, frozen, as the couple came closer.

"Shelby?"

Finally she managed to get her mouth into gear. "Hi James."

A smile spread across the man's face. "It is you!" he exclaimed delightedly. "It's been way too long." He pulled her into a hug.

Shelby immediately melted into him, suddenly feeling so much better. Then she came back to her senses. Pulling back, she gave him a smile, putting her considerable acting skills to use. "Nice to see you again." He didn't know about their child, she couldn't let him see the emotions whirling inside her. "Who's this?" she asked, turning to James' companion.

The air suddenly turned a bit tense. "Ah, right," James said quickly. "This is Diana Summers, we've been dating for a couple of months. Diana, this is Shelby Corcoran, I knew her in Akron, back when we were in high school."

One more blow, as if the reminder of her biggest regret wasn't enough for tonight. James had moved on. Shelby automatically shook hands with the other woman, keeping her feelings locked down. She could deal with them later. "Pleasure." She looked back at James, only to avert her eyes again. She just couldn't take those brown eyes without remembering her baby. "So, what have you been up to?"

James offered her a smile. "I've actually been assigned to California for the past four months," he answered.

"That's actually how we met," Diana interjected, taking James' hand.