Chapter 64

The Sunday after prom found Ryan and Quinn on a double-date with Mike and Tina. They met up at Pizza Hut after checking out the movies that were playing. Lima didn't have too much in the 'things to do' category, so they had defaulted to movie-watching. By a stroke of luck, they found that Pizza Hut was having an all-you-can-eat promo, quickly settling the decision of where to have lunch.

Half an hour into the meal, Quinn and Tina watched as the two boys devoured slice after slice of pizza in an attempt to outdo the other. Tina's mouth was hanging agape, and Quinn had a mildly repulsed expression on her face. "Where do they put it all?" Tina asked in wonder. The girls had been done for a few minutes already and had simply sat back to watch their boyfriends.

"I have no idea," Quinn answered. "But for the record, it's unfair how they can do that and not gain a pound."

"Amen to that."

Ryan swallowed enormously. "It's been shown that boys have a faster metabolism than girls," he explained. "That's why we eat more, especially as teenagers. There are studies on the topic." He picked up another slice of pizza. "What's my count?"

"How should I know?"

"Nine," Tina said in an awed voice. "Do you think Pizza Hut is going to go out of business with customers like these?"

"I'd say it's a possibility," Quinn answered dryly. "Boys are disgusting. Guys, seriously, if you don't wrap it up we're going to miss the movie."

Mike nodded, swallowing. "Have we decided what we're going to watch yet?"

"Hmm, not yet," Ryan said. "So far, we've narrowed it down to Limitless, Prom, and Scream 4."

"I think we had enough of Prom on Friday," Tina commented. "I'm good with Scream."

"Limitless is supposed to be pretty cool though," Mike said.

"I'm not much for horror movies either," Ryan admitted.

"Oh, it'll be fine," Quinn said, smirking at him. "Unless you're scared, of course."

"Not scared, I just don't completely see the merit of frightening several years off of one's lifespan by watching people getting picked off one by one!"

Scream 4 won out in the end though, and while several screams had been uttered - nobody was admitting to them - they couldn't complain, especially since the suspense had both sets of couples clinging to each other.

..

Quinn and Ryan walked out of the mall early that evening, having spent the entire afternoon out. "I had a good time," Ryan commented.

"Me too," Quinn agreed. She'd been a little surprised by how much she'd enjoyed herself, actually. She hadn't been sure what to expect on a double-date with Mike and Tina, but it had been fun. After the movie, the four of them had gone roaming around the mall, going into whatever stores happened to catch their eye. Ryan had dragged them into the music store at one point, Mike to the video game store, and then Tina and Quinn had discovered a shared passion for art.

"Are you going home?" Quinn asked. He frowned for an instant before it disappeared. "Are you and Shelby still fighting?" Ryan was still very much at odds with his mother over the reappearance of one Jesse St. James. He hadn't admitted it outright, but Quinn had picked up from his rants that he was jealous of the older boy.

"We're not fighting," Ryan answered with dignity. "We're having a disagreement over her taste in the students she keeps relationships with."

"No, you're being a little childish," Quinn said. He opened his mouth to speak, but she cut him off. "I know why you don't like Jesse St. James, I don't like him either after what he did to you. But not talking to your mom probably isn't going to make things any better."