Chapter 66

Because I love you guys

Ryan was the first one off the stage after the second number. Well, almost. He was narrowly beaten by Quinn, who rushed off the stage as soon as it was humanly possible. Ryan caught up to her backstage, not even listening to the applause as their number came to a close. "Are you okay?" he demanded of his girlfriend. "What – what the hell was that?"

"I don't know, he just – oh my God..." Quinn looked absolutely revolted. "Ryan, I didn't –"

"I know, I know," Ryan wrapped her into a tight hug. The rest of the club started to file in from the stage, and as soon as they were out of the audience's line of sight they were talking about The Kiss. Santana was swearing in Spanish with Brittany rubbing her arm, Mercedes was huddled with Kurt, no doubt already preparing what they would feed to the McKinley gossip mill.

Finn was the last one off the stage, and as soon as Ryan saw him his vision clouded over. He pushed Quinn away from with a growl, stalking forward with every intention of pounding the other boy into the ground. "Hudson –"

But Quinn beat him to the punch, quite literally. She whirled around, striding up to Finn and –

SMACK!

Ryan gawked with the rest of the New Directions – and the Vocal Chordz, who were competing next – as Finn stared at Quinn in disbelief, clutching at his reddening cheek. "Quinn –"

"Stop," the blonde hissed venomously. "What on God's green earth made you think that it would be even the tiniest bit okay for you to kiss me, Finn Hudson?" Her voice rose. "And not only that, you thought it would be a good idea to do it front of a million goddamn people!"

"It was a grand romantic gesture, like in those romantic movies," Finn argued. "It was epic!"

"You're even more of an idiot than I thought if you believed that," Ryan snarled.

Finn glared at him. "You just can't handle the fact that it was me up there with her and that I had the guts to go for her in front of all those people!"

"I'm right here, Finn," Quinn seethed. "Don't you think that maybe, just maybe it might have been nice to ask me what I thought of being practically assaulted with no warning onstage? And don't you think that just maybe all those times I told you to get lost, I meant that I did not want anything to do with you at all?"

"Besides, you just grossed out the entire theater," Santana interjected. "No one wants to see the Pillsbury Doughboy making out, Finnessa."

"Shut up, Santana," Finn said angrily before turning back to Quinn. "I know we broke up, but we were happy before! We could be awesome together again!"

"Are you deaf or just simply stupid?" Ryan demanded, getting up in the taller boy's face. "She doesn't want you! She wasn't happy with you, she never was! It's not her fault you're a deluded little boy who can't get over her!" he threw out, shoving Finn in the chest.

Finn shot him a nasty scowl, shoving him back roughly. "It's better than being a friendless, arrogant ass who thinks the whole world spins around him! As if anyone could want you!"

Okay, that was it. Ryan lunged forward, his fist connecting solidly with Finn's face. Finn let out a yelp, stumbling back as Ryan hit him again. He tried to throw out a haphazard punch, but Ryan deflected it easily before countering with another solid hit to Finn's jaw. The last hit sent Finn reeling backwards, and Ryan tackled him to the ground, driving a fist into his smug face. He reared back again, smashing his fist again and again into the quarterback's face in a cathartic release. It felt so damn good to finally release his frustrations and –