Chapter 59

"What happened to you?" Ryan asked in confusion as Santana came down the hall the next day with dirt on her face and all over the front of her shirt.

"Sue happened," she grumbled, brushing past him. "Esta loca. The psycho filled Brittany's and my locker with dirt."

"Oh." Ryan shook his head, following her to the girls' bathroom. "I'll just wait for you out here." He opened his folder, studying some sheet music as he waited.

"Where's Blondie?" Santana asked as she emerged from the bathroom a few minutes later. "Aren't you two, like, supposed to be glued together?"

"She told me to leave her alone for just a few minutes, because apparently it's like having a puppy follow her around all day," Ryan said, half annoyed and half amused. Maybe he had been overdoing it a little. He just wanted to make sure she was okay, but he could give her space too. Not for long though.

Santana smirked. "Don't worry, you'll be all gooey again by tomorrow, making us all vomit with your sweetness."

"If you say so."

He held the door open for her as they went into the choir room, smiling when he saw that Quinn was already there. He quickly settled into the empty chair next to her, giving her a kiss and ignoring Santana's whisper of "Wanky."

Mr. Schue came in a few moments later. "Guys, I've got some bad news," the teacher announced. "You know how we decided on doing Sing by My Chemical Romance? Well, I hold in my hand a cease-and-desist letter from the band. We can't do it."

"But it was the perfect anthem," Puck said in frustration.

"Additionally, there's a new requirement that all songs performed must be from this century. So Open Arms is out too."

"How much do you want to bet that Coach Sylvester has something to do with this?" Mercedes asked. Quinn nodded. This had Sue written all over it. But maybe they should be thanking her instead of getting mad, because Sing wasn't really one of their best performances, and they were sure to lose with Finn singing Open Arms.

"Way ahead of you guys," Mr. Schue sighed. "You're right."

"So what are we gonna do now?"

Mr. Schue opened his mouth to answer, but Ryan cut across him. "I really think we should do original songs for Regionals."

"All in favor of voting Ryan down again?" Mercedes drawled. Half the club started to raise their hands when Quinn cut in.

"I think he's right."

"Of course you do," Artie muttered.

Quinn ignored him. "The team works best when we push ourselves into something a little different. We won't be using other people's words or music, it'll be our own. Our own heart and soul, not just our voices. Ryan's an amazing songwriter and the two of us have been working on something, we just need a little more time to finish it."

"Wait, if the two of you are writing songs for Regionals, we should all get a chance," Finn said quickly. "It's a good idea, we should all get our heads together and write our own songs. That way we can kick some ass at Regionals."

"We can do this," Sam said confidently.

Mercedes looked at the teacher. "Mr. Schue, what do you think?"

Mr. Schue smiled. "Looks like we're doing original songs for Regionals."

..

Some time later Ryan found himself in the auditorium, playing around with a few melodies. He had a few that he was experimenting with, but still no lyrics. Well, good lyrics, anyways. He wasn't even going to touch on some of his earlier attempts. He looked up as Quinn sat down next to him on the bench. "Hey."