Chapter 51

February, 2011

"Hey kid."

Ryan turned around when Coach Beiste called him back after basketball practice. It was the beginning of February, and 2011 was turning out quite well for Ryan so far. He and Quinn were together, it was smooth sailing with his parents, no issues in glee as of yet, and the basketball team was well on its way to a decent place with 5-3 season. "Yes Coach?"

"Nice job out there last Friday," she nodded. "I was wondering if you'd be interested in contacting some college scouts, maybe see if you can get someone interested, get a scholarship next year."

Ryan blinked, taken aback by the offer. "Oh. Well, I can't say I've actually thought about it, basketball is actually just a hobby for me," he admitted. "While I'm pleased that you think I might be able to generate scholarship interest, I'm not really planning on continuing after high school. I'm much more focused on getting into a performing arts school for my singing and acting abilities."

The coach nodded again. "Yeah, I figured." She handed him a soft package. "You still get that, though."

"What is it?" Ryan asked, as he took off the wrapping, to uncover a red and yellow McKinley letter jacket. He pulled it out and held it up in front of him.

"You've earned it," Coach Beiste said. "Congratulations, kid."

"Thanks," Ryan said absently, at he studied the jacket, his last name stitched on the back with his jersey number.

"You tell me if you change your mind about the scouts," Coach Beiste said as she walked off.

Ryan stared at the jacket for another moment before walking out of the locker rooms. It was kind of strange. He'd never imagined that he'd ever join an athletic team, let alone receive a letter jacket for being on one. He looked up as he noticed Quinn coming towards him, fresh from the Cheerio locker showers. "Hey. How was Cheerios?"

Quinn rolled her eyes. "Coach Sylvester's being herself, as always. She says she's 'bored'. Seriously, we've got flamethrowers and motocross stunts. What's next, a cannon?" she grumbled. "Whacha got there?" she asked, coming up next to him. Her eyebrows rose when she saw what it was. "Wow. Congratulations."

"Thanks," Ryan said, lips quirking into a smile.

"Have you tried it on yet?"

Ryan shook his head. "This is going to sound a little strange and maybe silly, but it feels kind of... wrong."

Quinn frowned in confusion. "Wrong? Wrong how?"

"It's like a Shark being offered a Jets patch or something," he mused. "West Side Story," he elaborated with a smile, as he noticed Quinn's confused look. "The athletes have been virtually sworn enemies of the New Directions since our inception, what with the slushy showers and everything else. It seems a bit disloyal to put on the colors of the enemy, so to speak. What do you think?"

"I get your point," Quinn said thoughtfully. "But Finn and the rest of the football guys wear them anyways."

Ryan chuckled. "True. I told you it was a little silly." He shrugged the jacket on. "What do you think?"

Quinn adjusted the jacket around his shoulders. "Pretty hot," she commented, with a sly smile as she leaned up to kiss him. Ryan's eyes fluttered shut as she tilted her head and slid a hand in his hair, crushing their lips together. Then they opened in dazed surprise as she pulled back suddenly with a smirk, moving to whisper in his ear. "How about we go to my house?"

He nodded quickly, and she kissed him again before sauntering off in the direction of the parking lot. Ryan stood there for a moment, watching her legs as that sinfully short Cheerios skirt swayed teasingly, before he shook his head with a deep breath and followed her.