Chapter 67

"Not that I'm not happy to be here, but this is a little bit early," Quinn said dryly as Ryan let her into the house early on Friday morning.

"Good morning to you too," Ryan teased, swooping down to give her a kiss. He had asked her over early today to help him make breakfast for his mom. He was hopeless in the kitchen after all. "Thanks for coming over."

"Not a problem. Besides, Sue's practices were way earlier than this." She followed him into the kitchen. "So, what are we making?"

"Blueberry pancakes," Ryan answered promptly. "Mom and Dad are still asleep, and Mom doesn't wake up until seven, so we've got time."

"Oh, your dad's here?"

"Yeah, he stays over a lot nowadays." He should probably move in at some point, but they'd deal with that later.

"Okay," Quinn nodded. "Where's the ingredients?"

"Right over there," Ryan pointed out. "I'll help, but I have to warn you, I have no idea what I'm doing."

A few minutes later, that fact was very clear. "Seriously, Ry, how did you get past chem lab?" Quinn wondered, as they threw out a batch of batter after Ryan had accidentally spilled half of a bottle of vanilla into it. Both of them also had flour in their hair from his dumping half a sackful into the bowl.

"My partner usually does the actual pouring of dangerous substances," he admitted ruefully.

Later Quinn sighed in exasperation as they started picking small bits of eggshell out of the bowl. "Well, at least I finally found something you're not good at," she commented. Ryan gave her an injured look.

"That's mean."

She smirked, flicking hazel eyes up at him. "Don't worry, I still love you." She flicked at his hair, which had taken on a greyish tinge from the flour. "Even if you look like an old man."

"Hey!"

Soon the pancakes were being cooked by Quinn, after Ryan had attempted to flip one which ended up on the floor. He'd then been relegated to spreading butter on the final products, a job that put him in the perfect position to sneak a taste. "Hey!"

"Oh my God, that's so good," Ryan moaned as the flavor spread across his taste buds. "Seriously, this is amazing! And so fluffy!"

Quinn shrugged, smiling a little at his reaction. "It's the baking powder."

"I didn't know you could cook so well. Did your mom teach you?"

"Yeah." Quinn's face took on a pensive look. "One of the things you need to know so you can be a good little WASP wife. Pretty sure one of the requirements is that you need to be able to feed your husband."

Ryan winced a little. "I didn't mean to upset you."

She shrugged again. "It's fine. I'm over it." She smiled a little. "Besides, looks like it's useful for something."

"Most definitely," Ryan said, relaxing. "But don't feel like you have to cook for me. Not that I'm implying I'm going to be your husband," he added hastily. "I mean, we're still young and things can still happen. Not that I don't want to be, you know, of course I want to be your - I mean, in the future, I..." Ryan gave up, trailing off in embarrassment as Quinn's smile widened in amusement. "I'll just stop now."

"It's okay," she told him, reaching up to place a kiss on his cheek. She leaned in to whisper, "I wouldn't be opposed to the idea anyways."

..

Upstairs, Shelby woke up, snuggling into James. He placed a kiss on her neck as she chuckled. "Hey."

James grinned at her. "Hey." He pressed another kiss to her neck. "You awake yet?"