Chapter 78

"Good morning," Ryan greeted as he entered the kitchen fresh from his shower. He'd gotten back from his morning run to find his parents already in the kitchen, a rather unusual occurrence as they normally slept in on Sundays. "You're up early."

"We are, aren't we?" James commented, smiling brightly, glancing at Shelby who was sitting at the counter. Shelby just smiled happily from behind her steaming mug of coffee. Ryan tilted his head curiously.

"You also seem rather... happy." He wasn't sure he wanted to know what his parents had gotten up to last night to put them in such a good mood. "Did something happen?"

"Well, you should know," Shelby said lightly. James chuckled, coming over to stand behind her, resting his hands on her shoulders. "You were already in on it, as I hear." She put her left hand on top of James', and Ryan's eyes widened as a sudden sparkle caught his eye.

"You proposed?!" he exclaimed, looking between his parents in excitement. "And you said yes?!"

"Of course I said yes," Shelby said, smile widening as James laughed. "It's a very nice ring after all."

"Yeah, it was all about the ring, wasn't it?" James deadpanned.

"Yes, it was," Shelby returned, turning to pull him down into a kiss. Ryan hid his eyes behind his hands, peeking through his fingers as he smiled widely. It was obvious how happy they were, he could see it in their smiles, in their eyes, could hear it in their voices.

"Okay, I think that's good," he said eventually, having had enough of his parents making out in front of him. Thankfully they stopped, smiles never wavering as they gazed at each other. "Seriously though, I'm so happy for you." He came around the counter to wrap them both in a hug that they happily returned. "So, how did it happen? When did it happen? What did Dad do?"

His parents laughed again, and they told him the story of the previous night as they ate breakfast. "I wish I could have been there," Ryan commented. "Well, maybe not really, I mean I know it was an intimate moment for the two of you. But I'm sort of bummed out that I missed your duet."

"Of course that's the part you'd care about," Shelby said, amused.

"Well, of course I care that you got engaged," Ryan conceded. "But yeah, still bummed. I can't believe I haven't heard Dad sing yet. And overhearing you in the shower doesn't count."

"That's too bad, I'm sure some of my best performances were in the shower," James said dryly.

"So when's the wedding?" Ryan asked expectantly. "Are you going to have a band? Maybe the Troubletones could sing, like the New Directions did at Mr. Hummel's wedding -"

"Okay, okay, slow down," Shelby laughed. "We haven't talked about it yet, but I don't really want a big fancy wedding. That's not really my thing."

"Didn't think so," James commented. "The when of it is still up in the air though."

"Well, I was thinking maybe after the schoolyear," Shelby suggested. "I mean, we need time to plan it anyways, and Ryan and I are both kind of busy. It's your senior year, after all," she directed at Ryan.

"That's so far away," Ryan complained. So sue him, he wanted his parents together soon.

"It's not really a problem," James shrugged. "And it sort of makes sense, logistically. We're not really in any hurry. I mean, it's not like we've been going about this in the traditional way, is it?"

"I think we've been going at it backwards," Shelby quipped. "First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage. I think we may have gotten a couple of things mixed up."