Chapter 77

Mike ended up going home with his mom that night. His dad had been in his study when the two had gotten home. Mike Sr. hadn't come out, and Mike Jr. hadn't gone to look for him. He knew his parents had fought after he had gone up to his room, and early the next morning he'd gone out to go back to Ryan's house. He still wasn't sure how to talk to Tina about this. Fortunately Ryan was already up, and the two boys headed to the Lima Bean for some coffee.

"So you haven't been kicked out," Ryan checked.

Mike shook his head. "No. But my dad, he won't talk to me," he said, his voice pained. "And it's crazy tense at home. I know he and my mom are fighting about this." He put his head in his hands. "I don't know what to do."

"What did Tina have to say?"

"Just to stay strong, and not to give up." Mike sighed. "My mom and I talked, and I get why my dad doesn't want me to pursue performing, but... it's my dream. But I want them to be proud of me. Both of them." He thought back to last night.

..

"We are proud of you," his mother insisted, sitting across from him in Miss Corcoran's living room. In another situation Mike would feel really bizarre, but not right now.

"He isn't," Mike countered. "He wants me to become something I don't want to be."

"Just come home with me," Mrs. Chang repeated. "We'll talk things out with your dad, it will be okay."

"I don't want to talke to him! He said he wasn't my dad anymore. He doesn't want me unless I give up the musical, and I won't. And I am going to a real dance school, I told him I don't want his money."

"Michael..."

"You can't ask me to give it up either," he said, ignoring her. "You said you understood." He needed her to understand. He couldn't take losing the support of both his parents.

Mrs. Chang took a breath. "I do. And I will not ask you to surrender your dreams," she promised. "But you must understand, your father only wants what is best for you. He doesn't know how to show it, but he does."

Mike faltered at that. Deep down, he did still believe that his dad wanted the best for him. But why couldn't he understand that he wouldn't be happy unless he went after his dreams?

His mom took his hand, sensing that he was about to give in. "You still have a home with us, all right? I will not let my husband kick my only son out."

He let out a small sigh. He couldn't deny that that was a relief. "I..." He did want to go home. "All right."

..

Ryan kept quiet. After his conversation with Shelby last night, he too understood Mr. Chang's point of view. But he understood Mike's as well, and he understood the hardwired need for children to make their parents proud of them. He didn't know what he'd do if he disappointed Shelby or James somehow. "So what are you going to do?"

Mike let out a breath. "I'm still doing the musical. But... I'm going to have to think about college."

Ryan nodded. "My mom took a teaching degree as a backup," he offered. "This was before she went to New York. And it worked out for her. I mean, she's like famous in the show choir world by now after Vocal Adrenaline. Maybe you could do something similar."

"I guess so." Mike smiled slightly. "I do like teaching. I'll think about it."

"And you should go talk to Tina, Quinn said she's been blowing up her phone since last night." He smiled softly as Mike cringed. "Trust me, you'll feel a lot better after you talk to her. Talking does help, despite the fact that it can be rather uncomfortable at times."