Chapter 99

McKinley High National Champs!

William McKinley High School Takes First Place in National Show Choir Event

Congratulations are in order for Lima's very own William McKinley High School glee club, the Troubletones, for winning first place at the National Show Choir Competition. The fledgling show choir, funded by local business magnate Al Motta, was formed early this school year, making their National ranking all the more impressive. The Troubletones were led to victory by nationally ranked director Shelby Corcoran, formerly the director of rival show choir Vocal Adrenaline of Carmel High School in Akron. Ms. Corcoran previously held four national titles with Vocal Adrenaline, making Sunday's win her fifth national award. In a surprising twist, Ms. Corcoran was assisted by none other than WOHN anchor Sue Sylvester. Ms. Sylvester, also coach of McKinley High's nationally ranked cheerleading team, the Cheerios, late last year campaigned for a position in Congress with an anti-arts platform. The Troubletones, captained by students Ryan Corcoran and Santana Lopez, won the National Show Choir Competition in Chicago, Illinois this past Sunday.

The Lima News would like to congratulate Ms. Corcoran and Ms. Sylvester, as well as all students on the winning teams. Continued page 4.

It was the day after the Troubletones had returned to Lima, and Shelby smiled as she finished reading the headlining article in the local newspaper in the staff lounge. It wasn't every day that National titles were won by a small town such as Lima, and the newspaper had called up the school as soon as the Troubletones had gotten back from the cheerleading Nationals, asking to do pictures and an article. They had gathered the entire team with their oversized trophy in front of the school for a picture which now graced the front page of the paper.

The Troubletones had also received an enthusiastic reception when they had entered the school with their trophy the previous day. Principal Figgins had shelled out some cash for a banner in the entrance, and the students had lined up in the corridors leading up the Troubletones' room, tossing confetti as they cheered. Shelby and Sue had been content to stay back and watch proudly as their students finally received the recognition they deserved from the school. The two teachers had received their own welcome-back party, complete with a cake and balloons in the teacher's lounge.

"Congratulations."

She looked up, smiling pleasantly at Will Schuester, who was standing in front of her table, a neutral expression on his face. "Thank you." She kept her gaze on him when he didn't go away. "Was there something else?"

Will shook his head. "No, no, I'm happy for you. I am." His voice was deceptively light. "I still just think that it wasn't fair for you guys not to let Finn and the others join. I feel bad for them, they could have really used the win."

Shelby rolled her eyes. Here we go. "We've cleared this up before, Will, we had auditions, and some kids didn't make the cut. That's all there is to it. I'm sorry that some of your pet students weren't able to participate, but it's not my job to make everyone feel better."

"You shouldn't have started another team in the first place," Will argued heatedly. "You pretty much split up the talent. We could have won Nationals anyways, with everyone involved."

"Everyone except my son, right?" Shelby reminded him. "He quit your team, remember? But honestly, you would have had a snowball's chance in hell of winning without him."

"We would have made do."

"With a set list chosen the week before the competition and choreography done in three hours? Doubtful."

"I am just as good of a coach as you are -"

She almost laughed at that. "Please. I'm the best," she stated disdainfully, letting some of her ego seep into her voice. "You had your chance to prove you could win, and you lost. To us."