Chapter 55

"So," Mr. Schue said on Friday afternoon. "Our assignment for next week is a number for the Alcohol Awareness Assembly. Let's spend the weekend brainstorming songs about the dangers of alcohol, and we'll have number ready for the assembly on Wednesday."

The glee club stood up, shuffling to their respective classes. Ryan stayed behind, sitting down at the piano. He'd been working on his original song, and he had an idea of how he wanted the melody to be. He still didn't have lyrics though. He pressed a few random keys before he heard someone coming back into the choir room.

"Hey bro."

"Noah," Ryan nodded as the Puck came over to the piano. He sat down next to Ryan on the bench, Ryan sending him a confused frown. "We're bros now?"

"Well, yeah. After you gave me that advice about Lauren, I talked to her and she decided we'd start it off slow."

"Ah." Ryan nodded, going back to his sheet music.

"So, word is Miss C's going out of town for the weekend, and you're all alone in your house," Puck commented.

Ryan looked at him strangely. "She's going to Cleveland for a teaching seminar tomorrow evening, not that it's any of your business. How'd you even find out about that?"

Puck smirked. "It's the kind of information a guy like me tends to know. So, party this Saturday?" He said cajolingly. "I'll bring the beer, and the mini keg."

"Forget it."

"Oh, come on," Puck wheedled. "Just the glee kids. We're losing our minds, all stressed about Sectionals and stuff -"

"Regionals," Ryan corrected, unimpressed. "And besides, you're just looking for somewhere to have sex and get drunk."

"Yeah, there's a word for that. A party."

"I don't think so. Besides, you really want to get on my mom's bad side?"

Puck stood up, hoisting himself up on a desk. "Aw, come on, she can't be that bad." He looked at Ryan persuasively. "So...?"

Ryan hesitated for a moment. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad. "No, no! My mom's leaving me at the house because she trusts me to be responsible." Not to mention his mom would probably kill him if she found out.

Puck scowled. "She trusts you 'cause you suck, and are a total bore," he shot out, turning to leave the room.

Ryan's face fell slightly as he stayed in his position at the piano. Okay, that had hurt.

Quinn found him there a few minutes later. "Hey, are you okay?"

Her boyfriend looked up in time to see her coming over to settle herself next to him on the piano bench. She could see as he put a fake smile on his face. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"No you're not," Quinn said, frowning slightly. She liked to think she could tell when he was faking it by now. And he wasn't exactly doing a fantastic acting job.

Ryan sighed. "It's nothing. Puck was just a little upset that I turned down his suggestion of holding a glee club party at home when Mom goes to Cleveland this weekend. Apparently I suck and am a total bore."

"Not true," Quinn denied. "Well, you do suck, but you're the opposite of a total bore when you do it," she amended coyly, remembering her birthday a few days ago. She smirked as Ryan's jaw fell open, giving her a surprised stare.

"You've been hanging out with Santana too much," he accused.

"Guilty," Quinn answered flippantly, smirk widening as he licked his lips, obviously having less than pure thoughts. She picked up the papers where he'd scribbled down a few notes for the original song he was trying to compose. "Any luck?"