Chapter 39

"Mom, I have a question." Ryan sat down at the counter just as Shelby popped some toast out of the toaster the next morning.

"That sounds serious," she said lightly, pulling some jam out of the refrigerator. "What is it?"

"I thought maybe you could come with me to get my student permit sometime soon," Ryan said hopefully. "You know, for my driver's license."

"Oh."

"Now, I know you might not want to, but I'm sure it won't take that long," Ryan continued. "As you know, I'm turning sixteen in December, and I've actually been eligible to get a permit for a couple of months now. I've been reading all the manuals and pamphlets they give out at school, and I'm confident that I can pass the written exam. I -"

"Okay, okay," Shelby stopped his ramble, smiling slightly. "Calm down." She took a bite out of her breakfast. "Are you sure you can pass the written?"

"Of course, I've been studying for a while now. And you know I know cars, I can actually operate most motor vehicles quite well."

Shelby looked at him for a minute. She knew Ryan probably knew a lot more about cars than she did, and she had seen the driver's manual in his room a few times. She hesitated though, not exactly thrilled with the idea of her kid driving a thousand-pound hunk of metal around by himself. It was irrational, she did it every day, but then she wasn't always completely rational where Ryan was concerned. "Okay. I'll take you."

"Yes!" Ryan rushed around the counter to give his mom an impulsive hug. "When? We could go next weekend. Or sooner. Or -"

Shelby poked a slice of toast in his mouth, effectively stopping his excited ramble. "Shush."

Ryan gave her a reproachful look as he took a bite of the toast, pulling the slice away from his mouth. He swallowed. "That was completely unnecessary." He wasn't mad, though.

"Was it?" Shelby asked innocently. "And we can't go next weekend, Josh's wedding is on Saturday and the DMV's closed on Sunday. If we're going anytime soon, we're going today."

"Today?"

Shelby nodded. "Your dad's coming tomorrow, in case you forgot, and it's probably going to take us a few hours to get the permit so we can't do it on a weekday. So if you want to get it anytime soon, you go get dressed, and we'll leave in thirty minutes."

He could hardly keep in his excitement. "I'll be ready in five."

..

Almost five hours later, Shelby and Ryan exited Lima's DMV building, Ryan now the proud holder of a new student's permit. "Thanks, mom!" He grinned at Shelby, who couldn't help but smile back. "Can I drive?"

That wiped the smile off. "Uh..."

"Please?"

Damn. "Fine," Shelby relented, handing over the keys. "But if I say stop, you better stop, got it? Otherwise this is going to be the first and last time I let you drive my car."

"Got it." Ryan scrambled into the driver's seat of Shelby's Range Rover wearing a huge grin. Shelby got into the passenger seat more sedately.

"Seat belt?"

"Check." Ryan carefully adjusted the mirrors and got comfortable in the seat. "Okay?"

Shelby sent up a quick prayer, and steeling her nerves, nodded at her son. "Okay." The car was soon moving, and she started to relax marginally, though she kept her eyes peeled for other cars and any insane pedestrians who might suddenly jump out onto the road.