Chapter 31

"Mom, I'm going out," Ryan informed Shelby, poking his head into her office where she was sitting, trying to balance the monthly bills.

"Where are you going?" Shelby asked absently glancing up at him before returning to her work.

Ryan shifted slightly, but Shelby didn't notice. "Just out with Quinn and a few friends." He was actually going to meet Quinn, Santana, and Brittney at the Lima Bean before going over to Finn and Kurt's place where Finn was throwing a party. Apparently Burt Hummel and Carole Hudson were going to be out for the night.

"Home by 10:30, okay?"

Ryan sighed, rolling his eyes. "How about 9:00, so we can ensure I don't actually get to do anything?" he snarked.

Shelby glared at him. "Quit it with the attitude."

"Fine," Ryan answered boredly. "Can I go now?"

Shelby really wasn't appreciating his attitude, which had been building up for a week or so. She knew she'd have to deal with it soon, but not now. "Fine. Go. Be free."

"As free as I can with a curfew."

"Yes, and before I change my mind," Shelby said warningly.

..

A few minutes after Ryan entered the Lima Bean, Quinn came in with Brittney. "Hi," Ryan greeted, giving Brittney a wave and Quinn a quick kiss.

"Hi." Quinn smiled at him, before noticing that he seemed a bit off. "You okay?"

"Huh? Yeah, just some stuff with my mom."

"Hi Ryan, Hi Quinn," Brittney said happily. Brittney was actually pretty good at reading other people, even if she didn't show it. And she liked Ryan, he was one of the few people who didn't mock her or call her stupid. She knew Santana liked him too, even if she'd never admit it.

Quinn smirked. "Did she nag you about your summer homework again?"

"There's summer homework?" Brittney wondered.

Ryan and Quinn both looked at her. "Yeah, there's some for History and some for English...oh," Quinn stopped, realizing that the English homework would be submitted to Shelby.

"Yeah," Ryan nodded. "Oh."

"What's 'oh'?" Santana asked abruptly, tugging out the chair next to Brittney and sitting down. "Hi Britt. So, what's up?" she prodded.

"Did you know there's summer homework?" Brittney asked her.

"Uh, yeah, the English and History crap they gave out on the last day," Santana said confusedly. "We talked about that, remember? Last week?"

"Oh, that homework."

Santana looked at the other two table occupants. "So that's what the oh'ing was about? Homework?"

"Not really," Quinn said. She and Ryan shared a glance. "Mrs. Gage is retiring."

"She is? Awesome, that old toad gave me detention after Snixx came out and bitched at her. She totally has it in for me, she never gives me anything higher than a B-."

"Maybe that's because you do all the homework ten minutes before going to class," Ryan grumbled.

"Shut up. But that's good, right?" Santana said. "This way maybe we don't have to do the homework."

Quinn and Ryan exchanged another look. "Oh, I'm pretty sure we still have to do it," Quinn answered. "Ryan's mom found out about it and she's apparently enforcing the homework."