Chapter 37

"Hi Grams, Grandpa," Ryan said as he entered Sarah and Tom's house in Akron that Sunday.

"Hello, dear," Sarah said happily, wrapping her grandson in a hug.

"Hi, kid," Tom said, content to let his wife hug the stuffing out of the boy as they all stood in the hallway from the front door. "How's your week been? You're back a school right?"

"Yeah. School's okay. The glee club just had its first performance of the year on Friday," Ryan answered.

"You should have been there, the performance was to die for," Shelby said dryly. "I'd say I wish I'd had a video camera, but considering that choreography, it's probably for the best that I didn't." She started pushing everyone into the living room.

"It wasn't that bad!"

The front door opened again. "We're here!" Josh said cheerfully, Shelby winced, as he'd said it almost in her ear. Paige smacked him gently on the arm.

"Not so loud!"

"Okay, everyone in the living room," Sarah directed, and the group shuffled into said room.

"So, kiddo, what's new?" Josh inquired as he sank down on the couch.

"Yes, tell us about your performance," Sarah said.

"You performed?"

"This is what happens when you're late," Shelby told him, as Ryan told them all about the Toxic performance.

At the end of the story, Josh piped up. "Can you show us a sample of the dance?" Shelby just rolled her eyes.

..

"So, how's the wedding coming?" Shelby asked Josh and Paige as the three of them sat at the table later that afternoon. Tom and Sarah had decided to pick some things up at the grocery and Ryan had gone with them. "Less than three weeks left, right?"

"Yeah," Josh nodded. "It's all set, right, Paige?"

"Everything's pretty much set," his fiancée nodded. "Let's just pray nothing falls through at the last minute."

"You're looking really relaxed for someone who's getting married in three weeks," Shelby noted. "Remember when your friend Lorraine was getting married?" she asked Josh. "She broke out in hives the day before the wedding because the band cancelled on her the day before."

"How could I forget?" Josh asked wryly. "She made me run out and get a dozen tubes of concealer because I was the first person she could find. I didn't even know what the hell concealer was."

"We've got everything under control," Paige said. "Besides," she glanced at Josh. "We've sort of got another reason we need to stay relaxed."

"Oh?" Shelby looked at them curiously.

The couple shared a glance. "It's kind of a secret, don't tell anyone yet, okay?" Josh said.

"Okay..."

"We're having a baby," Paige said softly, with a smile.

Shelby looked between them in shock, before breaking out into a smile. "You're having a baby? Congratulations! That's amazing!" She was mature enough not to think of what her baby brother had done to cause the formation of a baby...No she wasn't. Ugh. She pushed it out of her mind. "When are you due?"

"I'm two months along, so April," Paige answered, smiling wider.

"Why don't you want to tell Mom and Dad?"

"We just wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while," Josh said. "And besides, I thought maybe they wouldn't take it too well, since we're not married yet."