Chapter 71

"Morning, buddy," James grinned as Ryan came down the stairs, fresh from his shower. "Ready for the first day of senior year?"

"Yeah," Ryan grinned, sliding onto a seat and pulling a box of cereal towards him. It was the first day of classes, and he was ready for his final year of high school. A complete contrast from first days of school when he was younger, when he'd had nothing to look forward to besides slushy showers and dumpster dives. Even this morning was different, since he had parents who actually cared that it was the first day of school. "This year is going to be great, I can feel it."

"That's good," his dad nodded, biting into a slice of toast. "Looks like you're going to be busy. Glee, basketball, the garage..."

"I'm fairly confident I'll be able to balance everything." He poured milk into the bowl, quickly taking a bite. James took the jug of milk, taking a gulp. "I'm just waiting until I can finally convince Mom to solidify her decision about starting the new glee club. It's just a matter of time. I'm already thinking of how I can find new members." He finished his bowl of cereal, opening the jug of milk to take a drink. He managed to take a swallow before he found it snatched from his hands. "Hey!"

"That's disgusting," Shelby scolded, grabbing a glass from the dishwasher and filling it with milk before pushing it towards him. "Other people drink this too." James grinned, opening his mouth to talk. "Don't you start," Shelby cut him off, rolling her eyes. "Boys."

"Good morning Mom," Ryan said sweetly. "Breakfast?"

"I made toast," James volunteered.

"Why are you two sucking up?" Shelby asked suspiciously. "Did you do something?"

"I didn't do anything!"

"Well, actually, I'm still trying to convince you to start that glee club," Ryan said, smiling as he put a plate of toast in front of his mom. "We both know that arts programs are extremely beneficial -"

"Okay, okay, I've heard your spiel before," Shelby interrupted, holding up her hand as she started buttering the toast. "If you go through the whole thing again we'll be late. And I told you, we'd still have to figure out funding and recruitment, so just wait, okay?"

He stole a piece of toast from Shelby's plate. "I've already outlined plans for recruitment that we may be able to implement as soon as you give me the go-ahead. The funding... well, we can cross that bridge when we come to it."

"Hmm."

"Well, have fun on your first day," James smiled, standing up. "Both of you." He ruffled Ryan's hair and gave Shelby a kiss. "See you later." He headed out of the house.

"I should be going soon too," Ryan added. "I'm going to pick Quinn up."

Shelby nodded. "See you later. Don't be late."

"I won't." He headed out, starting his care and setting off towards Quinn's house. He made it in fifteen minutes, quickly bounding up to the front door and knocking. His girlfriend soon opened the door, her pink hair bright in the sunlight. "Hey," Ryan smiled, leaning in to kiss her. "Ready for the senior year? You're riding with me, right?"

Quinn returned his kiss quickly, closing the door behind her. "Um, actually, there's been a change of plans," she said a bit sheepishly. "I -"

Right at that moment the door opened again, revealing a smaller blonde. She smirked. "Ooh, it's the boyfriend."

"Ryan, you remember my cousin Kitty," Quinn said, smiling dryly. "Her family's staying here for a week or so, until their house is ready to move into."

"Oh." Ryan's smile turned confused. "Okay. Hi Kitty. Wait, move into?"

"That's right," Kitty answered blithely. "My dad got a new job here in Cowtown, Ohio, so McKinley High better be ready for me." She grinned excitedly, for once looking her age. "I'll be trying out for the Cheerios, just like Quinn here." She smirked again, her cynical smile returning. "I'm actually surprised you're still around."