Chapter 100

"Coming, coming!" Shelby called distractedly as she hurried to answer the door, straightening her dress as she went. It was Ryan's graduation day, and the small family of three were busy getting dressed and waiting for the rest of the Corcorans. Opening the door, she smiled at her parents, ushering them in. "Hi Mom, Dad."

"Hi sweetheart." Sarah hugged her briefly. "Where's my grandson?"

Shelby rolled her eyes, amused. "Upstairs getting ready." She led them into the living room just as James came downstairs. turned to her parents. "Excuse me while I go finish up." She patted James on the chest as she brushed past him, intent on completing her makeup.

James moved into the living room, glad that he'd finished dressing already. "Hello Tom, Sarah," he greeted, shaking Tom's hand before Sarah pulled him into a hug. "Did you have an okay trip over here?"

"It was fine, thank you for asking," Sarah answered kindly. "So, are you ready for the wedding?"

He laughed, running a hand through his hair. Their wedding was in less than two weeks, and he was more than excited. "Oh, I'm more than ready. Thanks for pretty much doing the arrangements, by the way, you know Shelby isn't too keen on anything big." Sarah had quickly taken over the more intricate details of the ceremony and had gotten a venue, flowers, and a caterer for the reception while Shelby had been busy wrapping up her records for the end of the school year.

"Oh, it's not a problem, sweetheart." Sarah patted him on the cheek. "God knows I've been waiting for this forever. The girl's already forty, after all." James shook his head, chuckling.

"Do you have anyone coming to the wedding?" Tom questioned.

"Yes, actually," James smiled. "A few of my friends from my old unit are coming. They're stationed in Pennsylvania and I caught them between deployments." The doorbell rang again, and James excused himself to open the door. He smiled when he saw Josh and Paige on the porch, the former holding baby Alex. "Hi guys, come in."

"Thanks," Josh grinned, shaking his hand as he entered after his wife and child. "How are you doing?"

"Pretty good, pretty good," James nodded. "Hi Paige. And hello there, cutie," he grinned at Alex, who giggled and hid her face in her father's chest. "You're getting big!"

"Yes she is," Josh said proudly. "Say hello to Uncle James, Alex."

"Hewwo," the one-year-old greeted shyly. James' smile broadened as they entered the living room. Tom and Sarah's attention was quickly taken by the little girl, and James sat back, watching and waiting for Shelby and Ryan to come down so they could leave.

A few minutes later, Ryan came down, wearing a long-sleeved collared shirt and tie, his red toga and cap folded over his arm to be worn later. "Hi everyone!" he greeted happily, laying the clothes down on the couch, obviously more than pleased that his entire family had turned out to see him graduate. "Thanks for coming."

"Hey kiddo," Tom smiled, patting him on the back. Josh grinned at him too.

"Looking good," he complimented, Paige nodding her agreement with a smile.

"They're right," Sarah said fondly, coming over to hug her grandson. "Oh, you look so handsome!"

Ryan beamed, wrapping his grandmother in a hug. "Thank you." He crouched down as Alex toddled over, smiling at the tiny redhead. "Hi Alex!"

"Wyan!" The little girl hugged him enthusiastically, and Ryan grinned, wrapping his arms around her and picking her up. He seemed to be his cousin's favorite person, always gravitating towards him whenever they visited, and he could always get her to stop crying.