Chapter 65

"Ryan, do you have all your things packed yet?" Shelby wandered around the house, trying to find her missing offspring. It was early in the evening, and their flight to Nationals was tomorrow morning. They were scheduled to be in New York by early afternoon. She stopped short in the doorway to the music room, eyebrows rising at the sight of her son and his girlfriend sitting on the floor in the middle of a mess of sheet music. "What did you do to my collection?"

Ryan looked up at her, a slightly manic gleam in his eyes. "We're trying to put together a proper set list for Nationals, because Mr. Schue insists on doing original songs. We haven't been able to come up with anything, and he wants us to write it tomorrow at the hotel, so we absolutely need a backup plan in case we don't come up with anything," he said, barely taking a breath between sentences. Quinn looked up at Shelby with a desperate look that almost made the brunette laugh.

"Sweetie, I think maybe you two could use a break," she suggested. "Maybe go get your things packed for tomorrow."

Ryan rolled his eyes. "Please, Mom, I've been packed since last week. It's New York," he said, his excitement shining in his eyes. Shelby smiled in amusement.

"Okay then." She probably should have expected that. "Quinn, are you staying for dinner?"

"No, I should get going," Quinn answered, standing up. Shelby hid a smirk at the hint of relief in the blonde's face. She knew how persistent Ryan could be. "I'm having dinner with my mom."

Shelby nodded. "All right." Quinn left the room, and Shelby walked over to Ryan, her arms folded. "I don't suppose you asked Quinn if she wanted to help you in your mad quest for the ultimate set list?" she asked dryly.

"This is absolutely necessary," he argued. "Mr. Schue is being completely irrational. Who goes to the competition without a set list? It's a miracle we even have costumes."

"Oh, I completely agree with you," Shelby assured him. She had had words about this very topic with Will, but all she had gotten in response was that he believed in his kids, and that they'd be able to pull a song from thin air, or something along those lines. She had fired back with a retort that she'd believed in her VA kids too, because she'd still put them through hell and back to get them ready. These kids weren't ready. Unfortunately the comment hadn't particularly endeared her to the New Directions coach. "I was just pointing out that maybe you shouldn't have dragged your poor girlfriend into your insanity."

"I didn't - never mind." He huffed, turning back to the sheets. "I don't suppose you'd like to help me?"

Shelby rolled her eyes before holding out her hand. "Let's see what you've got." A set of music was promptly handed over. "I can't help but notice these are all suited to your voice."

"Well, if anyone can pull off a solo with minimal rehearsal, it's me," Ryan answered frankly.

"How modest."

"It's true, even the other glee members said so last year at Sectionals!"

"I don't doubt it," Shelby answered. "But how about you take a break like I said, and I'll help you after dinner." The teenager looked a little too intense. "Anything in particular you're looking forward to in New York?"

Ryan lit up again, quickly distracted by the thought of their trip. "I can't wait to see everything," he said excitedly. "Times Square is going to be awesome. It's too bad we won't have time to see any shows, but just being there... wow." He looked off into the distance dreamily.

"Okay, okay," Shelby teased. "Come on, let's go have dinner."

The next day, the flight to New York City carrying the New Directions took off after a flurry of seating arrangements. Quinn was pretty sure it was harder to find a seating arrangement that pleased everyone than it was to set up the seating arrangement for a wedding reception. Fortunately she had managed to grab an aisle seat next to Ryan, who was seated at the window. "First time on a plane, right?" she teased her boyfriend, who was clutching her hand.