Chapter 95

"So, Quinn," Greta the physical therapist smiled as they reached the end of Quinn's rehab session for the day. "Think you're ready to try standing up?"

Ryan looked at Quinn expectantly. It had been almost a week since she'd started regaining the sensation in her legs, and slight motor control had begun to return as well. She'd let him accompany her to sessions this week, and they were both delighted with the progress that was being made. At this rate, Quinn's statement that she'd be walking up the stage to get her diploma could soon turn into reality.

Quinn nodded in determination, wheeling her chair up to the set of parallel bars. "Let's do this." As she locked the chair into place, Greta took up her position beside her to help her up.

"Ryan, you mind giving us a hand?" she called. Ryan looked up, startled.

"Oh, okay. Sure!" He stood up readily, hovering uncertainly at Quinn's side. "What do I do?"

"You," Greta moved him into position between the bars facing Quinn, "are going to stand right here. When Quinn stands up, you be ready to catch her in case she falls forward, got it?"

Ryan's eyes widened for a moment at the responsibility, before he nodded in determination. "I got it."

Quinn sent him a wry smile. "You better."

"I'll catch you," he promised. Hazel eyes met brown, and she nodded gamely before turning back to Greta.

"Okay, ready."

"Good."

Ryan watched as Greta had Quinn put her feet on the ground, hands gripping at the bars. "You can do it," he encouraged as Quinn hesitated. "I'm right here, I swear." A moment later, Quinn nodded, and another moment later, she heaved herself up from the chair and Ryan's breath caught as she teetered to an upright position, most of her weight supported by her arms on the bars.

"Okay, Quinn, that's good," Greta nodded. "Now you need to try putting your weight on your legs."

Quinn hesitated again, nervously worrying at her bottom lip. "I'll fall."

"You're not going to fall," Ryan told her confidently. "You can do this, I know you can. And I promise I won't let you fall. Just relax, you've got this."

She took a deep breath. "Okay." Gingerly, heart pounding in anticipation, she started to ease her weight on her legs, and finally, finally she was standing on her own, hands resting lightly on the bars to keep her balance, but she was standing.

"You're doing it!" Ryan crowed excitedly. Quinn let out a breathless laugh. "Oh my God, Quinn, you're standing!"

"I'm standing," she agreed, breathless from excitement and from the effort of keeping herself upright. Her legs were trembling, her balance was precarious, but she was standing under her own power for the first time since the accident. It was exhilarating, and the couple locked gazes again, pride and delight and absolute love shining from their eyes.

"That's great, Quinn," Greta praised. "Now, I want you to try to take a step towards Ryan."

Quinn's smile faltered. "I'm not sure I can." It was taking all her concentration not to topple over, how was she supposed to take a step?

"Just try."

Ryan nodded encouragingly, and she mustered up all her energy, willing her right foot to move forward. She succeeded for instant, but the next second her left knee buckled, and she was falling forward, panic instantly overwhelming her as she tried and failed to control her momentum.

But true to his word, Ryan caught her before she could hit the ground, his arms holding her close to his chest as he bore both their weights. "See?" he told her, smiling. "I caught you."