Sixteen || Technicalities

|| Technicalities

"How are you feeling?"

Jacy, with the blanket draped around her shoulders, looked up. She smiled lightly, "Yeah, I'm a little better."

Stiles sat down on the barstool next to Jacy in the kitchen. He'd left the vet clinic with his dad and when he came back to check on Jacy, he found she'd gotten sick after cleaning up the mess Aiden left in the house. He left her alone because him being cold only made her worse, and that's all he seems to be anymore.

"So, were you with your dad today?" Jacy leaned forward, laying on the counter with her head facing Stiles.

"Yeah, I was hoping for some sort of development, but nothing." Stiles copied Jacy, his head facing hers. They held eye contact, "They're sending the claw to a lab in Los Angeles."

"It won't come up with anything," Jacy said, talking softly even though her mom had to work a late shift and Jordan was only with her for his lunch break.

Stiles furrowed his eyebrows, "What do you know that I don't?"

"Deaton thinks he knows what tried to kill you." Only Stiles could tell she was scared, "And if he's right, it isn't good."

"What is it?"

"It may have only been one thing, but they're controlled by someone else."

"Like someone with minions."

"Minions that are from Norse mythology, yeah."

"What the hell are these things?"

"They're called berserkers, and," Jacy shook her head, "they're really, really bad."

"How bad?" Stiles asked, able to hear the worry in her words.

"Bad enough that I'm afraid even when we wake you up, you'll still be in danger. Our quiet period in this town is over, and it's only going to get worse."

| |

"This is the day I live for when school starts in the fall," Stiles praised, sitting in his desk in history. He was smiling and his hands were laced behind his head.

Jacy found herself smiling, quickly looking down to her paper so no one could question her.

Stiles looked so real; not foggy or transparent. It was like he was actually there in flesh and blood.

"I know you're all excited for the winter break, but we still have to keep focus." Mr. Yukimura clasped his hands together, facing his class.

Stiles mischeviously grinned, making a pencil roll off of Scott's desk and towards him.

Scott stayed completely still, no one around noticing the occurance. He glanced to Stiles' empty desk, smiling just barely.

Jacy and Scott exchanged a look, both looking away when the pencil sailed through the air and smacked the lightswitch.

A couple of people screamed jumpily when the room went into darkness.

The windows gave the room light, but not enough for Mr. Yukimura to teach. He put his hands on his hips in annoyance, flatly looking over his students. "Okay, who did that?"

A few giggles littered the room, all from unguilty people.

Stiles flicked a finger, the lights coming back on. He glanced back to Jacy, winking before turning the lights out again.