36

I opened the door of the vanishing cabinet in Borgin and Burkes. It was empty so I closed it yet again. It was already past eight. Maybe it didn't work or Draco messed it up somehow?

I nervously tapped my foot on the ground until I heard a thud coming from inside the cabinet. I took a deep breath before opening it up. 

At first I thought it was empty again until I saw a small bird with grey feathers laying at the bottom of the cabinet. 

"It worked!" 

I had to let Draco know that it had worked. Even though it went against all my principles I killed the bird so that Draco would know it worked. 

I sighed after closing the door again. Dumbledore had to know. I was about to apparate when I realised I was supposed to meet George. I hurried to the dark alley and removed my disguise when I saw George. 

"Kaia? Can we talk?"

"It'll have to wait a little longer, do you mind stopping by Dumbledore's office for a second?" 

He looked somewhat confused but agreed "Sure, I don't mind." 

I grabbed his hand and together we apparated in front of Dumbledore's office. 

"Do you know the password?" George asked still holding onto my hand. I looked down and smoothly let go.

"Toffee Eclair." the statue moved and the stairs appeared. I walked onto the steps and George followed. Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk surprised to see George with me. 

"Good evening, Kaia and George. What a pleasant surprise." 

"We did it, sir. The cabinet has been fixed."

"You did a great job, Kaia. You truly are a great witch."

"What's going on?" George asked looking confused. 

I ignored him and looked up at Dumbledore "There's a meeting with Voldemort tomorrow, I'll tell him about this then." 

"Alright, now will you explain to me what happened to not telling anyone else?" Dumbledore looked back and forth between me and George. 

"I- uh-"

"It's my fault. I found out myself." George stated.  

"I see, I've always admired you and your brother but this isn't just a simple prank were talking about George. You do understand the danger you're in for knowing this kind of information?"

George snapped his head towards me "That's why you didn't tell us? To protect us?" 

"I'd rather have you all hate me than have you all in danger because of me, I'm sorry." 

"I love you, Kaia. I don't care if that means I would be in danger or not, as long as I'm with you."

"I-I"

"The dark lord knows, he knows about the cabinet being fixed." Snape stormed inside the office, he seemed shocked to see George with me.

"He knows? Already?" 

"Draco told him." 

"Of course he did." I rolled my eyes. Draco wouldn't pass an opportunity of being praised for his doings. 

"The dark lord plans on attacking Saturday evening." 

"But that's in three days, why so soon?" 

"He's impatient, Kaia. You know that." 

I sighed and nodded. Dumbledore sighed as he rose from his chair and without saying a thing he left the office. My heart sunk a little. 

I looked besides me at George and reached my arm out for him to grab "We should go," I looked back at Snape. "I'll see you tomorrow." Snape nodded with a mournful look on his face, his thoughts probably with the old wizard.

Together with George I apparated into the shed I had been staying in. George looked around the shed "Is this where you've been staying?" 

I gave him a nod as I sat down on the bed of hay "I'm sorry, for everything." 

"Don't apologise," George sat down next to me his hand was placed on mine, my fingers entwined with his "I've never told you how sorry I am about your father. I should've been there for you." 

I shook my head "I didn't want to be around anyone, I just wanted to be alone."

"Why did you choose to become a death eater then?"

I sighed "At first my only reason was because of revenge- seeing everyone I cared about- I couldn't bare the thought of anything happening to them, to you. I went undercover so I would know everything and be able to protect them by that."

"Kaia, revenge is never the solution to anything-"

"I'm not gonna let monsters like that live a happily ever after, they don't deserve it! They deserve to be dead!" 

"Kaia-" 

"They killed my father! They killed my father!" I repeated over and over again as I pressed my face into the palms of my hands. George wrapped his arms around me, I pressed my face into his chest. Soon the room was filled with my sobs, heavy sobs.