Chapter 1

Seven years later, in Autumn

The Lonely Forest

"Remind me again why we took this job, cause I ain't liking it so far. It fucking stinks here." Azariah complained, an angry frown marring his angry face.

"Must you always curse?" Kaynen asked him, as he ducked under a low hanging branch.

"Must you always ask me that question?" Azariah replied, and cursed again when the same branch Kaynen had ducked under, hid him in the face.

Kaynen rolled his eyes, and chuckled. Azariah really was one of a kind. To others, his close friend he considered a brother might seem scary, since anger and irritation always marred his face, but Kaynen knew him better than any one else. While he seemed angry all the time, Kaynen knew that no matter what, Azariah always had his back. Just like he had the twins their backs too.

Kaynen turned his head, and his gaze fell on Elias and Elian walking closely behind Azariah. They had the same face, and almost the same body build, with Elias a bit shorter than his brother. Elian's hair was also longer, and their differences didn't stop there. Where Elias could talk someone's ear off, Elian preferred not speaking much.

They all differed from each other, but they were family. They have been since they met all those years ago, in a small village orphanage. Kaynen would give his life for them, and he knew they would do the same for him. Ever since escaping that horrible place, much had changed for them.

Life as a bounty hunter had it's perks, but sometimes he really wondered if this was the best way to make a living. The prisoner they were after now, would bring in a lot of money, which was why they were currently enduring this unpleasant trek through the lonely forest. It was called that for a reason, since no one lived here. There were no animals either, according to stories and legends.

"Do you know I could have been in a warm bed, with a warm and soft woman, doing delicious things, while drinking my favorite alcohol drink, which is rum by the way." Elias said in one breath, and Kaynen rolled his eyes again. Here we go.

"Yes, we know Elias. This job will bring us enough money to last until after winter, so that's why we took it, remember?"

"Wait. You do delicious things, as you call it, to a woman, while at the same time drinking rum? How the fuck do you manage that?" Azariah mumbled, as he stepped in a large pool of mud.

"It's called multitasking, Az. You should try it sometime. Doing delicious things, and drinking some rum, I mean. It might relieve some of that stress, and make you smile for at least one tiny second. Maybe." Elias replied with a laugh.

"How many times do I have to tell you to not fucking call me that" Azariah growled, as he tried removing the mud from his boots.

"Why? I love calling you Az. Sounds like Ass. Lovely, isn't it?"

Azariah spun around, and lunged at Elias, but was stopped by Kaynen.

"Alright you two, that's enough." Kaynen said with a smile.

Elias always managed to make Azariah angrier that he already was, and Kaynen couldn't help but find it funny.

"Stop laughing, it isn't funny." Azariah said and pouted.

"Come on man, it kinda is. It's a joke, don't take it too hard." Kaynen said with a chuckle. Elias was still laughing, and even Elian had a smile on his face.

Kaynen loved it when they joked about like this. Reminded him of old times. As he turned around to continue their trek, he suddenly halted, causing Azariah to almost bump into him.