Chapter 2

How I imagine Lavelina's cottage looks like

How I imagine Lavelina's cottage looks like. Of course without the modern lights.

Living in the forest could be a joy sometimes. The constant fresh air and the freedom were some of the things that Lavelina enjoyed most. Oh and of course, the plants and animals. They were her absolute favorites. As a kid, she had always enjoyed working in her mother's small garden, while also enjoying the company of the forest animals that always visited her. Her mother had never found it weird that she spoke to squirrels and birds. But the same could not be said about the villagers. They always used to gossip, whispering about how she was of evil, and not normal. If her eyes weren't the color they were, she might have actually ignored them and their gossip. But she had known that there was some truth behind their claims. She had been the only one in the entire village to have amber colored eyes, darker than average skin and dark burgundy hair. In the beginning she had listened to her mother, and ignored the villagers, but as she had gotten older, she had known that maybe living in that village was not a good idea.

When her mother had gotten sick, Lavelina had known that her life would change completely. And that was exactly what had happened when her mother died, and she was thrown out of the village. At the young age of thirteen, she had been clueless about the world outside of the village she had called home. But she had promised her mother, that she would never give up. That she would always be helpful, and never judge anyone for being slightly different. That she would live.

Lavelina looked around her small cottage, filled with different kinds of plants, herbs and more. Renovating this cottage had taken her months. She had found it while wandering the forest, old and broken down. It had been empty, and she had decided to take a chance and start a new chapter in her life. She didn't know how she had survived the forest, but she had. When she had walked into the lonely forest, the dark and cold had scared her, but as she had walked further and further, the dark and cold had been replaced by green, and warmth. The heart of the forest had truly been a sight to behold. And it still was.

Lavelina sighed. She moved the the small dining table, and stroked the plant she had grown only days before. She stared at the small leaves, and then she slowly waved her fingers. She beamed as the plant slowly grew until it was of medium size. She had become better at it, and couldn't help but think that the evil she had in her, according to the villagers, may not be evil at all. What if it was a blessing. Having the power to grow plants, flowers and to heal, was not evil. Feeling the soul of the forest was not evil. Understanding what the animals try to say to her, was one of the best feelings. No, she was not of evil. She was only....slightly different.

She walked to her front door, and picked up the green bucket she had stolen from a village she had visited a couple of years ago. People had barely noticed her, and she had used that to her advantage.

It hadn't rained for almost a month, so she had to walk to the stream often to get fresh water. As she stepped outside the cottage, she breathed in the fresh air of the forest, and smiled.