Chapter 22

Snow had begun falling, covering the whole camp like a white blanket. The cold was getting worse, causing many to wear an extra woolen jacket over the already thick clothes they usually wore during winter. Lavelina stood in the doorway of her tent with her arms crossed, and watched the people go about their day. Three days had passed since the attack, and even though she had been ready since the first day, Serena and Yosef had decided it best to wait and recover first from the attack for fear that they might not make it out alive, if they reciprocated without a good plan. She understood that they meant well. But she hated sitting at Kaynen's side, watching him whither away, while she could have been fighting. Fighting to get that part of him back. To save him. He was getting worse, his skin was as cold as the snow, and it scared her. So very much. Using her powers did not help at all. Being useless, was one thing she hated the most. 

In the distance she could see Baylor and Elian walking closely together, and couldn't help smiling. She was happy for them. Everybody deserved to love and be loved. Even if they were only a tiny bit different. Turning around, she moved to Kaynen's cot, and sat down on the small chair next to the cot. Gently grabbing his hand, she put it against her cheek. The cold from his hand seeped into the warm of her cheek, and it only brought tears to her eyes. She hated seeing him like this. 

She hated waiting even more. 

"I will fix this. I will save you." she whispered to him and kissed his hand. 

She was done waiting. 

With one more kiss, this time on his blue lips, she decided what her next action would be. After making sure there were new logs in the fireplace, she grabbed her bag, and packed an extra blanket, woolen robe and jacket, and some other small necessities. After stepping out of the tent, she walked to Elian's tent. 

"Lavelina? Are you alright? Is Kaynen alright?" Elian asked her when he invited her into his tent. Baylor was of course there, and she nodded. 

"I'm fine. Kaynen is....well, he's not doing so good." she said and then looked Elian in the eyes. "And I'm going to fix that. I'm going after Ellora."

"What? Serena and Yosef said--."

"I don't care about what they said. I care about saving the life of the man I love." she said as she quickly wiped the tears that were rolling down her cheeks with the back of her hand.

"Oh lavelina." Elian said quietly, as he moved closer to her, but she moved back before he could embrace her. 

"I'm leaving now." she said and then looked at Baylor, who had been quietly following the two of them, "You're almost fully healed. We can leave together, and go to Kade. He must know where Ellora is."

"Are you crazy? You can't go to Kade and just ask him the whereabouts of Ellora. What if he decides to kill you?" Elian said with wide eyes. But she didn't pay attention to him. She watched Baylor as he moved to stand in front of her. 

"You'll be taking a big risk. I don't know if I'll be able to do anything if my brother decides to do...something."

"It is worth it. He is worth it." 

Baylor's eyes softened and he nodded. "Alright."

"Wait. No. You can't be serious." Elian started to say, but was stopped by Baylor.

"If I was in her place, you would be worth it too." he said as he softly stroked Elian's cheek. 

Lavelina moved backwards to give the two lovebirds some space. Elian's eyes found hers, and he sighed. 

"I'm coming with you then."

"No." she and Baylor answered at the same time. 

"What?" Elian asked, and Lavelina stepped in front of him. "I need someone to stay with Kaynen. Someone I trust to keep him safe."