Amelie - Shawn Mendes

It was the worst moment of my life when I discovered I couldn't have kids. I and Shawn decided to build our own family a year after our wedding: we tried for months and months with no success. The only option left was to adopt a kid. It wasn't how we planned it, but it would have still been the same.

We came across Amelie while we were visiting a foster home. She was taking a nap in her small bed, the light of the early afternoon was shining through her dark straight hair. Shawn and I fell in love with her at that exact moment.

A couple of weeks and papers later, there she was, standing in our condo's doorway, her backpack with a couple of her clothes and toys was bigger than her, and her small hand was holding mine.

She silently looked around the place as I took off her coat.

"So, Amelie" Shawn spoke up. "Is it okay if we show you your room?"

She nodded softly, still holding onto my hand. After walking up the stairs, we reached her room: the walls were orange, the medium-size bed Shawn built was in the middle of the room, the white desk and chair we chose together were near the big window.

"It's really big and pretty," She said softly, sitting on the bed with Shawn's help, making a big smile form on our faces.

"What would you like to eat for dinner, Amelie? Pizza? Pasta? Hamburger?" I asked her softly.

"Hangurber, I've never tried that" She answered, messily trying to repeat the word, making me and Shawn laugh.

"So, hamburger it is. What if I go and get the stuff we need and maybe you both get ready for nighttime?" He asked me and his, now, daughter. I nodded in response before walking Amelie to the nearest bathroom.

I let the water run in the bathtub as I helped the four-year-old undress. I lifted her inside the warm water, washing her hair and body.

"Your hair is beautiful, " I said to her with a small smile on my face.

"Yours too" she giggled softly as I got her out of the water, wrapping her in the small robe we bought for her.

After blowdrying her hair and dressing her in her pajamas, we went downstairs and found our dinner ready on the table. We explained to her how to eat a hamburger, and found ourselves having dinner in silence.

We were mesmerized by her, our dream came true. Amelie was the kid we've always wanted and we were so grateful to have her in our lives.

Later that night, I cuddled onto Shawn's side as Amelie rested on his lap, watching cartoons. She sang and danced along with the theme songs she knew and laughed at every small joke the characters made. She was perfect.

"Mommy, Daddy, can we have hangurbers tomorrow too?" she mumbled sleepily on Shawn's chest.

Mommy, Daddy.

I looked at Shawn, surprised, tears of joy slowly making their way out of my eyes.

She was our small ray of sun, our happiness, and we loved her more than anything.

Nov 19, 2019